Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. mrpeebee, if you remember, did a blues comparing his amazing collection of Links plus a Chinese imposter. It is now on you tube. I am gonna refrain from too much comment...i need to give this a few listens. Please check it out. This has been some task....great man, just great. ( I could not access on soundclick ). Very first impression.....i know you prefer to play real wide Pete.10/11. IMO...and on first listen...the master 4...and a 5 sound great. Better intonation and a much more controlled vibrato. I think if you upped a reed strength or two...you would sound great on the closer mpcs. Also Pete...you gotta push that mpc a bit further on the cork...again all this is opinion. Please lets hear some more.....well done Pete...Bravo man....a

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really like the 74 early Babbit 8. It is real warm, you sound very comfortable on it. Likewise the second of the 74 no.10's...the last one i think. I will give my final opinion later. Not that it is worth much, and dependant on getting a signal. I really am thinking you sound better on med. tips...maybe move to hard La Voz from med....on the 4/5....stick with med...on the 8. If i were to play a 10 or above?....soft. I use Bari reeds when possible. Between mpcs. right now.....anyhow we will see. Good Job Pete.....a

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for listening and opening a new thread on this my friend! The original thread with the links to SoundClick and YouTube is here:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...lues-quot-(played-on-12-different-mouthpieces)

Direct link to the YouTube postings for part 1 and part 2 are here:
- Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXN-2pNo0Mg
- Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmU2M8JgPE

Maybe it's better to post further comments in the original thread!

About your comments and advices above:

My issue with the smaller tips (say below 9*) is that altissimo and volume gets less when you have to play real loud. Since I have to play often without mike in a loud environment (big band!) I need to cut through and those big tip pieces make that easier! But using harder reeds on the smaller tip pieces is something I would like to try. Actually I did play recently with a Tone Master 8 and Fibracell 3,5, but I didn't like that combi too much. I posted some takes of Serenity in the SOTW TOTM thread of February to compare that setting with a Link NY 11, you can also find those takes in my SoundClick page (see signature below). Me and others prefer the big tip. Ofcourse lots of other MPC/reed combi's are possible. Thanks for the advice!

The Early Babbitt 8* was for almost 20 years my main piece and I still like it very much. But, as described above, it doesn't bring enough in a real loud environment. But for those softer 1 to 1 recordings (as done in the Vintage Otto Link Blues) it's a very very good piece. But in real live you can feel the big difference between the 8* and the bigger 10+ tip pieces!

Thanks again for your comments, highly appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts