Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching Serie III alto sax necks for a purchase. In doing an SOTW search, I see that "Goldbrass" at Kessler and "Copper" at Saxquest are the same neck.

Matthewsmusic.nl lists a redbrass neck for Serie III at a much cheaper price. I'd assume that's also the same neck, but I am wondering if anyone has a definitive answer.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Selmer here in the USA refers to this neck as a "Goldbrass" neck. Selmer does not make a Solid Copper neck. So SaxQuests terminology is incorrect. They also are selling the Goldbrass neck.

Standard "Brass" is an alloy comprised a few metals. The primary metals are copper and zinc (though some will also include tin). Typical brass is about 70% copper. This does vary a bit though depending on the source but it will always stay around that figure.

Goldbrass/RedBrass means that the alloy has a higer copper content. This is where it gets a bit more difficult to narrow down. Some companies will use this term interchangeably. It generally means that the copper content is somewhere between 80-90%. Selmer Paris is using an 85% copper mixture.

Yamaha for instance uses the following terminology and formula:

Yellow Brass: 70% Copper, 30% Zinc
Gold Brass: 85% Copper, 15% Zinc
Red Brass: 90% Copper, 10% Zinc

Wikipedia also has a great explanation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

In the end, brass varies from one supplier to the other.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts