Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of trying the brass curved A.I. version as a preference, seeing as my lovely tenor is brass, plus i hear that bronze is heavier.

So I'm curious why most of the positive postings only consider the bronze version?

Is the bronze responsible for the darker sound people like?

What's good about brass? [rolleyes]

Your thoughts?
Mark

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
I was thinking of trying the brass curved A.I. version as a preference, seeing as my lovely tenor is brass, plus i hear that bronze is heavier.

So I'm curious why most of the positive postings only consider the bronze version?
[rolleyes]
I think the bronze came out first, (maybe the standard rather than AI, I'm not sure) so most people may have bronzes for that reason. Or else those who will pay a bit more for AI will ay a bit more to have a bronze one, either for the looks or under the impression that because it costs more it must be better.

I don't believe this is true, as we know all the acoustic science points to the fact that the type of metal would not make a difference to the sound, however there is always that psychological effect that makes you think it's better. Or the old mantra "you gets what you pay for", which I don't believe but find it hard to ignore that voice in my head saying "go on, buy the more expensive one it must be better"

Of course this is true re: the AI, but regarding the metal, I think you just have to make your own mind up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your measured response. I guess I like the idea of matching my instruments by material (brass) for some kind of imaginary consistency (and its cheaper!) :)
I may just have a go on a bronze too to test this hypothesis!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts