Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when brass necks were first offered on King Super 20's? I thought the brass necks were standard in the early 1970's Eastlake, Ohio horns, and the silver necks were optional during that era.

A friend of mine has a 1950's Super 20 with a brass neck and he tells me the neck is original to the horn. I don't know the exact serial number he has though, but it's definitely a Cleveland horn. I play an Eastlake S-20 and his neck looks very similar to mine, although I can't recall if his had nickle plating on the octave lever like mine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got an early Eastlake (439xxx) with a brass neck. I had the same question as you. And it is brass for sure, not gold plating over silver.

BTW, these early Eastlakes are great! Brass has to be the same they used in Cleveland: hard and heavy. JT

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have since found this information on the www.saxpics.com website:

"....the sterling silver neck became an option around serial number 340,000."

"The socket neck was deleted around 390,000 and at 426,000 the production was moved from Cleveland to a new facility at Eastlake, Ohio. The underslung octave mechanism was discontinued...."

My S-20 tenor is serial number 466xxx and it has the underslung neck. It's one of the good ones for sure. A couple of techs who worked on it and others who have tried it all wanted to buy it from me.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
351 Posts
I was wondering when brass necks were first offered on King Super 20's? I thought the brass necks were standard in the early 1970's Eastlake, Ohio horns, and the silver necks were optional during that era.

A friend of mine has a 1950's Super 20 with a brass neck and he tells me the neck is original to the horn. I don't know the exact serial number he has though, but it's definitely a Cleveland horn. I play an Eastlake S-20 and his neck looks very similar to mine, although I can't recall if his had nickle plating on the octave lever like mine.
Brass necks were always standard on the Super 20's the silver was optional. Silversonics came with the silver neck and bell as standard. I however have a very late Silversonic alto that did come with a brass neck but that's very unusual.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend with the 1950's brass neck S-20 is a pro player. He told me that he prefers the sound of the brass neck to the silver one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I have one of each (brass and silver) with my early Eastlake tenor (454xxx). Neither one is original; they play differently, but I wouldn't say one is 'better' than the other.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
I played my brass 20 tenor (454XXX) today with both a silver neck and a brass one, and I agree with Jeff Rosner that neither one is better than the other; they are just different. More specifically, the silver neck made a brighter, edgier sound, whereas the brass one had a richer, warmer, and a bit darker one.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I played my brass 20 tenor (454XXX) today with both a silver neck and a brass one, and I agree with Jeff Rosner that neither one is better than the other; they are just different. More specifically, the silver neck made a brighter, edgier sound, whereas the brass one had a richer, warmer, and a bit darker one.
That's my experience with the brass neck: a warmer, darker sound, which I was not expecting from a S-20. I immediately thought of a recent Martin I had played, but still, the S-20 has a clearer sound than the Martin. If given the choice, I would probably prefer the brass neck. JT

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
That's my experience with the brass neck: a warmer, darker sound, which I was not expecting from a S-20. I immediately thought of a recent Martin I had played, but still, the S-20 has a clearer sound than the Martin. If given the choice, I would probably prefer the brass neck. JT
well, you can always exchange your silver neck with the brass neck I have left over (I got myself a Gloger silver neck!)...:twisted:.
My Gloger silver neck isn't very different from my brass, it seems brigter but as I get used to it I think I am playing it more or less the same.

The advantage of not being a great player perhaps?:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts