Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last two weeks, I purchased two saxophones from Brass Barn. Both saxophones were brand new and sealed in factory packaging as advertised. Typically, I look for a new saxophone to be set up and adjusted prior to buying, but I felt that buying Yamaha saxophones I could take a chance with the factory set up. I don't think I'll need any adjustments for a few months.

I think the variability of some saxophone brands makes it very useful to "try before you buy." I noticed that when I bought my Yamaha YTS-875EX there was absolutely no set up; it was taken out of the box, decorked, given a play, and then handed to me. It was perfect and so I gave Brass Barn a chance twice and I'm glad I did.

I'm very happy with both saxophones (Yamaha YBS-62 and YSS-82Z) and the overall experience. I previously purchased new saxophones locally and online (USA Horn, Sam Ash, Kessler Music, and Sax Forte) and all of my experiences were good. I did take a chance with the YSS-82Z as I hadn't even found anywhere locally where it was available to buy and were I to want to have it ordered I was told I'd have to put down a 50% non-refundable deposit. I felt comfortable taking that chance because of my prior excellent experience with Brass Barn.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Hmmm, being a bit cynical here but it sounds like you've had a couple of good experiences with Yamaha that Brass Barn was smart enough not to mess up - always a good plan. Some brands need much more setup work than others. Yamaha and Yani tend to be pretty good but I know of others that the better techs spend a great deal more time on and handing someone a horn straight out of the box from the factory might not go as well.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I purchased a yanigasawa B991 from brass barn. Came factory sealed. Because of the consistency of Yani, I wasn’t too worried about not trying first. The sax plays great.

I paid well below the usual market price.

The warranty is apparently only good in Japan but not too worried about that much either.

For me it was a good experience buying from them too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
The comments about Yamahas right-out-of-the-box are interesting because my experiences with Yamahas right out of the box have not been that good. A while back I was on the hunt for a new YAS82z and I found a few local dealers who had them.

None of them had been set up and none of them played particularly well - at least not good enough for me to buy one. I finally found one, owned by a fellow SOTW poster who'd bought it and the selling shop had set it up. That horn played well. I sold it back to the seller when he asked for it back.

With Yanagisawa, my right-out-of-the-box experience has been better. At Kesslers, Chuck brought one out of his warehouse, unboxed it in front of me, ran a heat gun down the bore to warm it up, handed it to me, and it played like a dream. Perfect!

I know - a limited sample. DAVE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts