Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know what make and model soprano Branford Marsalis plays?
Ive heard its a Yamaha with a fixed curved neck that they no longer make. Does anybody know what model it is exactly?

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,638 Posts
I heard it was a one of a kind MKVI with a bent neck, but I'll let someone else confirm that.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,497 Posts
How could it be aftermarket? It's a fixed neck.
it aint a fixed neck man, it's a one piece body. You can bend the main body, you fill it with lead and curve it to specs.

· Registered
431 Posts
I heard it was a one of a kind MKVI with a bent neck, but I'll let someone else confirm that.
It is a Mark VI with a bent neck (though of course sopranos don't really have necks); I've seen the horn myself, as Branford's assistant had brought it in to a New York repair shop just before I came in one day about two years ago, and I was able to look at it. Not sure if it's one of a kind, but surely there aren't many like it.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
2,200 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
2,765 Posts
Confirmed. Brandford has a MK6 soprano with a bent neck. Selmer must have made it as a one-off.

· Registered
759 Posts
I have both a Yamaha YSS-62 and the bent neck YSS-62R. The 62Rs were indeed factory production models. You can buy a nice 62 for about USD 2,000+, but the 62Rs are now selling well in excess of USD 3,000. They sound the same to me, but having the bent neck is a real positive because you can put some weight on the neck strap and the angle is more comfortable for play. Other than the bent neck and a slight change in the octave mechanism to accomodate the bent neck, the horns are identical and sound the same to me.

As I final note, these are stunningly good horns in terms of intonation, ergos and speed. All notes speak easily and the dynamic range is fabulous. I highly recommend either of these models.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.