Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just finished registration and am so excited about writing my first thread on SOTW!!

I have been concentrating on soprano since I made a switch from alto a couple of years ago, and recently I have been working on some of the soprano pieces of Branford Marsalis. I have my list of his soprano songs, but could you please help me build the list further? Here is my list:

All the songs on Romances for Saxophone
Cassandra
Harlem Blues
Again, Never
Englishman in NY
Roxanne
Another Day
Blossom of Parting

Anything played on soprano by BM is welcome regardless of classical solos, jazz solos, or even accompaniments (like the ones he did with Sting).

· Registered
655 Posts
Still a few albums missing, but..... (Debber likes Steep on soprano) :D

Renaissance:
The Peacocks
Citadel
The Wrath (Structured Burnout)

No tunes on 'Trio Jeepy' (if i remember correctly)

Crazy People Music:
Wolverine
The Ballad Of Chet Kincaid (aka Hikky-Burr)

Bloomington (live):
The Beautiful Ones (Are Not Yet Born)
Roused About

The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born:
Roused About
The Beautiful Ones (Are Not Yet Born)
Beat's Remark

Requiem:
Trieste
Lykief
Bullworth
Cassandra
16 St. Baptist Church

The Steep Anthology:
Maria
Royal Garden Blues
Sidney In Da Haus

No tunes on 'Comtemporary Jazz'

Footsteps Of Our Fathers:
Giggin'

Eternal:
The Ruby And The Perl
Reika's Loss
The Lonely Swan
Muldoon

Romare Bearden Revealed:
I'm Slappin' Seventh Avenue
Jungle Blues
B's Paris Blues
Steppin' On The Blues
Carolina Shout

Braggtown:
Hope aka Joey's Tune
Fate aka Isolde
Sir Roderick, The Aloof aka Steep's New Tune

Metamorphosen:
The Blossom Of Parting
Abe Vigoda
The Last Goodbye
Samo

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,399 Posts
"Steep"???

· Registered
57 Posts
Here's a few more:

I Heard You Twice The First Time (Branford):
Rib Tip Johnson
Sidney In Da Haus
Dance Of The Hei Guy

Black Codes (From the Underground) (Wynton Marsalis):
Black Codes
For Wee Folks
Aural Oasis

Kenny Kirkland (Kenny Kirkland):
Midnight Silence
Steepian Faith
Revelations

Citizen Tain (Jeff "Tain" Watts):
Paen (Marie, Jehanne, Karmia)
Trieste

Hourglass (James Taylor):
Gaia

There's also at least one beautiful Track: Another Day (there's probably more Steep soprano) on the Buckshot Lefonque debut album.

Markus

· Registered
108 Posts
okay, I'll fill in some gaps:

Scenes in the City:
Solstice - tenor and soprano!
Waiting for Tain
Parable

Royal Garden Blues:
Dienda - very beautiful Kirkland tune
Royal Garden Blues
The Wrath of Tain

Renaissance:
The Peacocks
Citadel
The Wrath

Random Abstract:
Broadway Fools
LonJellis

The Dark Keys:
Hesitation
Lykeif
Judas Iscariot

also check out the score from Do The Right Thing.

· Registered
Yani S901 soprano, Mark VI alto, Couf Superba I tenor, Yani BW01 baritone. Drake and Morgan mps.
1,015 Posts
Yes, "Steep," "Steeplone" and "Steepy" are all nicknames I've seen/read for Branford.

Nice work on those lists above! Very kind of you folks to respond to the OP that way.

"The Peacocks" on Renaissance is still one of my all time favorites. Beautiful stuff.

· Registered
81 Posts
Did Branford make any changes to his soprano setup over the last 10 years? Maybe it's just the engineering, but his tone sounds different to me between Requiem, Eternal, and Braggtown.

Also wondering about his tenor setup. He sounds great on everything, but I especially like A Thousand Autumns from Requiem.

Charlie

· Registered
655 Posts
Did Branford make any changes to his soprano setup over the last 10 years? Maybe it's just the engineering, but his tone sounds different to me between Requiem, Eternal, and Braggtown.
Well, Requiem was recorded in 1998, Eternal in 2003 and Braggtown in 2006. I think that the development of Bran's soprano sound is primarily a consequence of his work, practise and development of concept of sound during those years.

Of course album engineering can also have an influence on the perception of sound of the listener.

Re. his (soprano) setup i think i read that some years ago he started to use a classical rubber Selmer D mouthpiece with Vandoren V12 Clarinet (!!!) reeds, though Bran has changed mouthpieces more often over the years.

· Registered
588 Posts
wasn't there some shizzle on Branford's sop setup on the Yamaha or soprano boards? like he was testing the new curved-neck Yamaha sop?
i was using a Bari HR like he used in the 1980s, but i sounded nothing like him :| [then I stopped all together...]

· Registered
2 Posts
I have to add a big favourite Branford solo of mine, which is Children's Crusade from the live Sting album 'Bring On The Night'. Inspiring then and now. Anyone interested in how to play around vocals in a pop/funky setting this album is a must. RIP Kenny Kirkland.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Branford's soprano solos on The Russia House score (by Jerry Goldsmith - check it out if you haven't already)are what made me want to play saxophone. He has a lovely tone when playing classically or jazz.

I second the person above who mentioned the beautiful Emmanuel on Romances For Saxophone but The Russia House playing is my very favourite of his.

I must say I don't like Branford's more recent tenor tone - it was much nicer a few years ago. He seems to have made a change in tonal concept and mouthpieces around the time of his Romare Bearden album.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.