1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'll say it: Branford is great, but I don't think this horn sounds good. At all. Neat bit of saxophone history, though.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Incredible! That looks just like a bass clarinet neck profile, is there an octave pip on it? From what I can tell it’s at the base/collar of the neck.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
That is so cool! I wonder if Matt found it to work effectively, I guess it channels moisture that would no doubt just accumulate by the pip tube as you played.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
487 Posts
I'll say it: Branford is great, but I don't think this horn sounds good. At all. Neat bit of saxophone history, though.
I agree it doesn't sound that great. But I have always found Branford's sound on tenor muddy. I don't think it is the horn (I love his playing, just not his sound).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree it doesn't sound that great. But I have always found Branford's sound on tenor muddy. I don't think it is the horn (I love his playing, just not his sound).
Im not really sure. I know Matt said in the video that he really didnt think the sheer depth of tone was coming through so I’m sure it probably sounds a lot different in real life.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Im not really sure. I know Matt said in the video that he really didnt think the sheer depth of tone was coming through so I’m sure it probably sounds a lot different in real life.
I don't think you can judge the sound of horn from this recording very well. In a big tin can, with who-knows-what for a mic placed who-knows-where.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Haha that neck is trippy! Sounds like Conn, probably more ergonomic but cost more to make than the NW style neck--Ill fated like the Buescher "custom built" baris.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts