Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a recording of Branford playing alto (a track called "Transit Ride" on the album "Jazzmatazz") and I really dig his sound.

I'm wondering if anyone has any links or can suggest albums in which he plays alto (not classical - preferably jazz, but even more "commercial" stuff might be okay).

Also does anyone know what kind of mouthpiece he's playing on? If I had to guess I'd say a Dukoff, but that's just a guess based on what I'm hearing.

Kind regards,

-Dan

· Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,718 Posts
Back when I met Branford, he played alto, clarinet, and some flute. He and I played in a pit orchestra for the musical Company in 1982. Back then he played a rubber or plastic piece, maybe a Meyer. He had a full round sound.

· Registered
3,327 Posts
Check out Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers albums from the 80's. This was his first big break. For a while the horn section was Branford, Wynton and Billy Pierce on tenor.

There's a live track of him playing St Thomas on alto (!) on Renaissance.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
MM said:
Check out Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers albums from the 80's. This was his first big break. For a while the horn section was Branford, Wynton and Billy Pierce on tenor.

There's a live track of him playing St Thomas on alto (!) on Renaissance.
Bran was playing tenor on the St Thomas track, not alto. But he does play alto on the album Creation (with the Orpheus Orchestra) and he played some alto on his high concept album I Heard You Twice the First Time. He returned to alto recently on the track O Solitude on the latest album Braggtown (but also played tenor later in the track).

And why the exclamation mark after saying alto for St Thomas? I'm mainly an altoist (but I do have sop and tenor also) and play St Thomas on alto - nothing unusual about that.

· Registered
3,327 Posts
Nah, check it out again. He plays tenor on the whole album except for this single live track on alto. Sure nothing wrong with ST on alto; it's just surprising to me he plays on Rollins tune on alto.

· Registered
388 Posts
Daniel Scott said:
Hi guys,

I have a recording of Branford playing alto (a track called "Transit Ride" on the album "Jazzmatazz") and I really dig his sound.

I'm wondering if anyone has any links or can suggest albums in which he plays alto (not classical - preferably jazz, but even more "commercial" stuff might be okay).

Also does anyone know what kind of mouthpiece he's playing on? If I had to guess I'd say a Dukoff, but that's just a guess based on what I'm hearing.

Kind regards,

-Dan
I think I remember Branford saying he use(d) a Meyer on Alto. I am not sure he played alto on Braggtown, but I'll check the liner notes.

· Registered
Couf Superba I soprano, alto, tenor, and bari. Drake and JodyJazz mps.
1,016 Posts
MM said:
Nah, check it out again. He plays tenor on the whole album except for this single live track on alto. Sure nothing wrong with ST on alto; it's just surprising to me he plays on Rollins tune on alto.
Not to beat a dead horse, but it's quite obviously on tenor, MM.

I saw Branford a couple weeks ago at JALC and it looked like he was playing a black-nickel Selmer alto (which I didn't even know they made). Sounded good. Couldn't tell what mouthpiece he was using.

· Registered
851 Posts
pc1234 said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but it's quite obviously on tenor, MM.

I saw Branford a couple weeks ago at JALC and it looked like he was playing a black-nickel Selmer alto (which I didn't even know they made). Sounded good. Couldn't tell what mouthpiece he was using.
Yea, it's definitely a tenor. We're talking about the "St. Thomas" track off of the "Renaissance" album, right?

-Dan

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's playing a Meyer? That's just plain scary, how fat the sound he gets out of it.

Good thing because I've got what is basically a NY Meyer 6 but done on a Sumner blank (there's no way I would change pieces, I was just curious).

Incredible.

-Dan

· Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
dstack79 said:
Yea, it's definitely a tenor. We're talking about the "St. Thomas" track off of the "Renaissance" album, right?

-Dan
Yes, and I agree, what with the tone and low notes being a dead giveaway and all...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.