Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a Suzuki Alto sax, brand new, never used, for $ 200.00 including shipping. It is the "Concertino" line which is supposed to be a step up in the Suzuki line of saxophones. This same Alto sax is sold at Costco and Sams Club for $ 499.00, therefore -even if it's made in China- I guess that it is of better quality than the cheap brands sold on E-Bay for much less.
I would not spend $ 499.00 for this sax, but $ 200.00 seems an attractive price.
What do you think ? (hopefully I will get some replies also from players who have actually tried them !)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Buy a used YAS 23 or a Vito stencil and be happy. For around 300 you can get a very nice sax that plays and will always be worth just about what you pay for it.

Good luck
Hutmo

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,012 Posts
Agreed, there are better deals to be had. I would assume that the quality of this sax is roughly the same as that of those on ebay, and some of those on ebay aren't too bad. But a nice used YAS 23, or vintage horns that sell for this price are just as capable if not more.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
:confused:...Is it made in the same factory as the Suzuki Alto:? :scratch:
If so, go for it since you're bound to get great GAS mileage!:laughing:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed that, unlike many other Chinese brands listed on E Bay, Suzuki instruments have a web site: www.suzukibandinstruments.com.
Perhaps this is a good sign ? Also, considering that Wal Mart or Sams Club are low price mass market retailers, I guess that if they sell a Suzuki Concertino Alto for $ 499.00, this instrument must be better than the $ 190.00 sax listed on E Bay (or not ?.....)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,421 Posts
The w al ma rt and s a m s instruments are not worth buying at all. Buy a second hand yamaha if budget is your issue, but avoid those discount store saxes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I will think twice before buying the Suzuki Concertino for $ 200.00.
However I wonder if any of the forum members who have replied to my post have ever played one....it would be interesting to have an opinion from someone who actually have tried them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gerardo; i also would suggest a good uesd yamaha 23 or vito stencil. Just make sure that the key guard on the the vito is the same as the 23. I played a yamaha 23 professionally for 15 years. If you can find one cheap enough play it with a mk.6 neck.It will sound much like a mk6 selmer. Necks and mouthpieces really do make a lot of difference on the sound of saxophones. I havent had the chance to play the asian horn that you mention in youre post but i know that the yamaha and vito that i played will give you excellent results. Try craigs list and be patient a good horn will show up. Don

·
Registered
350 Posts
A few of my students have the suzuki horn you speak of (Junior high band director). I've tried it and found it to be reasonable. $200 is not a bad price at all! If you are looking for a young beginning player that may or may not continue to play, I would take advantage of this deal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, a few days ago I bought the Suzuki.. then I did regret the decision, and rented a brand new Jupiter 769 (Rent to Buy) with the intention to re-send the Suzuki back once received.
I spent a few days with the Jupiter, waiting for the Suzuki to be delivered.
I like the Jupiter really a lot, in my (beginner) mind it has a great sound, looks very solid and it is beautiful. Honestly, it seems to me much better than the Chinese made Selmer "Soloist" that the Music Store offered me as an alternative for the lease (but, hey, I am a beginner, who I am to judge ?)
Today I received the Suzuki. Perhaps it was a defective model, but... one of the pads (a large pad at the end of the body) bounces back when I press the correspondent mother of pearl key...it looks like the spring is too weak or there is no spring at all... another pad does not close enough... the mouthpiece is too large for the cork on the neck and it goes too far so that the sax plays sharp.... the ligature is made of metal so soft... and it does not fit well the mouthpiece... it seems to me that the material and the way the keys and the mechanism are done is very poor... even if I am a beginner, there is a world of difference between the Suzuki and the Jupiter. Maybe, as already said, it is a defective one... any way, the seller kindly accepted to get it back and to issue a full refund.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
Well, a few days ago I bought the Suzuki.. then I did regret the decision, and rented a brand new Jupiter 769 (Rent to Buy) with the intention to re-send the Suzuki back once received.
I have had a Jupiter 767 alto for almost 20 years and it's built like a tank. My only complaint is that it seems largely locked into a bright sound no matter what mouthpiece I want to fit on it. If I try for a warm sound, I get Paul Desmond instead. The horn has lots of mid-harmonics and not so much fundamental. How much high harmonic content it gives is more mouthpiece-dependent (as it should be), but it is not as flexible as some other horns out there.

By contrast, my 70's Buescher Aristocrat alto is zoned in on a rounded, "legit" sound and does not like to be pushed into edginess. That's why I'm letting an 8th grader borrow it (that and I really don't like the ergonomics but they fit his smaller hands fine).

So -- there is nothing wrong with the Jupiter, and it may even be fit for professional duty in certain genres. Since you didn't say what style you want to play, just be aware that it may be difficult to tame that particular horn when required. Mine at least is pretty much in your face all the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts