Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just received a brand new Meyer G 6 facing Alto mouthpiece yesterday. When I opened the sealed bag I honestly thought someone was pulling a prank. The rails were as wide as skis and the window, well...you have to see it to believe it so please have a look at the snaps.

The interesting thing, and why I call it a semi blank is that the facing is superb! Feelers all perfectly square. Not sure how this baby slipped out of the factory??? But after a few hours of work I got the rails to match more closely an old Meyer 5 and scooped out the sidewalls up to the rails and now the thing is stellar. So I am glad I did not return it but instead attacked the issue head on and now have a cool 6 to hang out with my vintage 5.

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,512 Posts
It looks nice. I really hate the g series. I never understood why it needed to exist. They typically have super thick rails like you found and just play like they have an old sock stuck inside.

·
Banned
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Coming from you guys it means a lot! Mojo, I think your are 100% correct in your evaluation. The net result is a bigger more complex tone. And Phil, I couldn't have put it better, the sock is gone. :mad:)

Thanks,
Andy

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,446 Posts
I've worked on only a couple of those Meyer G in the past. Not that people generally send me outstanding specimens for modification, but my recollection was that they were very stuffy and required a lot more attention than the standard Meyer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts