Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time in the 1920's, A jazz musician from Bowling Green KY named Charley purchased a new Conn C-Melody Saxophone.
Charley was a clarinet player, but occasionally doubled on sax.
Charley also apparently took good care of his instruments, weather he used them or not.
The C-Melody was one of those in his collection that did not get a lot of play time.
It mostly sat in a case.

30 years later...
Charley retires from playing jazz and the near mint Conn is put in the case for a very long rest.

60 years later...
RIP Charley my friend.
His granddaughter decides to put Charley's old stuff on eBay. Make an offer! Hey, I'm just a couple hours away and already have a sweet 1922 Conn alto, so offer made, it's mine.

No way is this thing playable. I tried to check fit of a tenor mpc and the cork crumble like a cookie.
I mean really like turned to dust. Time to make a trip to Nashville.

Last week at Band Room Repair in Nashville...
Roo pads good, but no plastic resonators. No rush. Take your time. Do a good job.
"These are the original pads", I am informed. Wow.

Today...
Unfreakinbelieveable! The tech acted like this was the coolest thing he has done in a long time.
I open the (unoriginal) case and there is what appears to be a BRAND NEW 1921 Conn straight neck C-Melody. (0.0)
Had a bit of a nice adventure on my way home too, but that is another story.

There are a few very minor imperfections on the lower bell. Hardly noticeable. It plays perfect.
The only place there are signs of wear in the plating are under the thumb rest.
My alto now has a big brother.

Last note...
I know CM Saxes are not high demand, but I have my reasons for wanting one.
I just never thought I would find one like this.

20190420_190353.jpg

20190420_190415.jpg

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Congratulations: it's a beauty. It looks just like my 1923 Conn, but a lot cleaner and prettier.

Now, have you the right mouthpiece to go with it ? The original mouthpiece will probably need opening up, if you decide to stick with that.

Otherwise you have several choices, all of which are made of hard rubber and use tenor reeds (as they should, seeing the C-melody is really a tenor sax in C). Off the top of my head, there's a Morgan C-melody 'piece, available from JunkDude, which is the one I use. Then there's a cheaper one, branded FAXX, which you'll find on the internet. I have one of these; it's fine, but I prefer the Morgan.

The one which really interests me, though, is the following, which I've only seen in an internet advert. Saxquest in St. Louis, MO, have recently put out a new-design C-Melody 'piece, made for them by Eric Falcon. The description makes me want to buy one straight away. Here's the link to the page:

https://www.saxquest.com/product/view/saxquest-the-tram-c-melody-sax-mouthpiece-P11648

If you go for this one, please give us a review !

·
Registered
353 Posts
That horn is lovely! I bought a 1924 Conn C-mel earlier this year, but it doesn’t look new like yours does - sincere congratulations.

There seem to be very different opinions about mouthpieces depending on how you want the C-mel to sound.

Personally I like the old-fashioned, quiet, lyrical 1920’s type sound, so I am using an old Conn C-melody mouthpiece that has not been opened up. But it took me a while to get used to - it feels quite different to my other saxes. It is very easy to blow too hard and close the reed. No way can I play it loud.

But if you want a more tenor-like sound or a more versatile instrument, then you will want a different sort of mouthpiece entirely, such as the Morgan. I tried a plastic FAXX, but didn’t like it.

You can also use a standard alto or tenor mouthpiece, but you may experience intonation problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind replies.
I asked the name of the original owner and with it got a few dear old grandpa stories. That is why I know the history of this horn.

As for the mouthpiece, For now I am using one I found on eBay sold by gocatmusicsales. It uses an alto reed. Opening is .068. Using a 2.5. Not bad actually for the price.

Here is the one that was in the case. Have no idea what it is and have not yet tried it. Again, uses an alto reed.
20190421_102429_Crop.jpg

As I am not currently playing pro, I will probably not be purchasing an expensive mpc, but will keep my eyes open for a good vintage one.
Appreciate the suggestions though and will check them out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,341 Posts
Beautiful find ! I’m sure that was a fun purchase. I have the exact same C (1922) with straight neck and micro tuner. You’re going to have some fun with that one. Welcome to SOTW!
Would be really cool if the selling family had a picture of Charlie playing a sax.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice find. Looks like my '22 just cleaner :). Like you I didn't want to pony up the cash for a morgan etc...so I have the original Conn Eagle [ugh], an Aquilasax metal...good intonation but has some control issues, and a Faxx hard rubber [works great and was cheap]. tenors and alto mpcs all had intonation issues for me.

Enjoy the horn.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I just started really getting into playing my new to me '23 Conn C mel and my god it is good fun!
Amazing how much easier popular songs are to play without all the extra sharps and flats.
And the horn (with a Morgan C mel mpc) is just so easy to play!

These are really a fun, inexpensive, guilty pleasure of the sax world.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Do I understand correctly that they replaced the original case? If so, with what and where can I find one of these new cases? I have an old Beuscher C-Melody in need of a case (it's currently living in an old tenor gig bag), and cannot find a new one anywhere.

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
The horn is beautiful! The story is even better. Was the mouthpiece in the case the one Charley used with it? If it is, it might be a surprisingly good match.

Do you have a before picture? It would be cool to see the transformation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is really beautiful! I just purchased a 1927-1928 Chu Berry and should have it in hand middle of next week. I hope it will clean up as nice as yours!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts