Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like Pascal Brancher is selling a saxophone with his name on the thing. I've seen some photos on his websight, but so far, I haven't heard anything about them. I wonder if they are garden-variety Chinese made, Selmer copies? Or, some new design that will sweep the saxophone world and become the new standard of excellence for woodwind players.

That last statement might sound a bit sarcastic, but I've seen saxophones offered by mouthpiece makers before. They are usually stencilled horns like the Dave Gaurdala saxophones (made by B&S).

Anyway, I'd like to get some feedback by anyone that has seen, heard or played a Brancher saxophone.

http://www.brancher-france.com/sax.php

·
Registered
620 Posts
At least there's no.......................................................WHITE GLOVES!!!!

dv

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
The special resonators and the French pads have my attention. On most Asian horns, you'll see Pisoni pads and domed resonators of some sort. The design also looks a bit different.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I assume you're saying that stenciled ones like the Guardala saxes by B&S are a bad thing? If you've read anything that B&S Guardala owners have posted, they are very, very good saxes. Better than most of the big 4 offerings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume you're saying that stenciled ones like the Guardala saxes by B&S are a bad thing? If you've read anything that B&S Guardala owners have posted, they are very, very good saxes. Better than most of the big 4 offerings.
The point was that Gaurdala and Barone don't actually make their own horn, the put their name on someone else's horn. This is not a comment on quality, it's just that those guys make a top-of-the-range, boutique mouthpiece by hand, but their horns are mass produced "off the rack" models with their name on the bell. Brancher's mouthpieces, however, are mass produced, not the bespoke examples made by Gaurdala (pre lazer trimmed of course), or Barone. They happen to be quite good and are an excellent value.

BTW, I've known Phil Barone for over 20 years, and he would not put his name on a sub-standard saxophone, so I must assume that his horns are good value for the bread, but they are not the equivalent of Phil's mouthpieces. I can't say the same about Gaurdala's ethics, although his mouthpieces were always top-shelf back when I played them in the late '80s. I have played a few of Dave's B&S stencilled instruments. It felt like a clunky modern horn with large key-work, sort of a Mark-7 meets an H. Couf. Okay, but they ain't getting me to convert from my old Selmers.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'd have to agree with you that they're clunky. But the keywork is comfortable and the sound is great. I see your point with the stencil issue though. Although when stencils are made by quality factories (b&s, mauriat) then it's not much of an issue other than name.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
I was in frankfurt where they were presented for the first time. I playd those horns there and I have a friend who ones one of the first.

Short answer: awesome saxophones. Thea are a new league about selmer and all the others.
From the sound it's a french instrument modern, but jazzy with charakteristics. (The copper alt also genial but more classical).
A proplayer a longtime Mk6 player took it a hand and said, like a mk6 but perfect.
The resonators are a knew thing developed by brancher, they are gigantic. They fit exactly neary the whole tonhole. The reflect better in the inside and to the outside.
The rest of the equipment ist pure luxury. Brilliant case, one Brancher MPC of your choice, one Brnacher neckstrap, 2 necks
they are quite new, but I'm sure we will hear a lot of it

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
The point was that Gaurdala and Barone don't actually make their own horn, the put their name on someone else's horn. This is not a comment on quality, it's just that those guys make a top-of-the-range, boutique mouthpiece by hand, but their horns are mass produced "off the rack" models with their name on the bell. Brancher's mouthpieces, however, are mass produced, not the bespoke examples made by Gaurdala (pre lazer trimmed of course), or Barone. They happen to be quite good and are an excellent value.
I can't go d'accord with this. The Guaradala Saxes are brilliant one developed with B&S. A friend of me is playing one.
After the mysterious disappearance of Mr Guaradala the line get a new name: "Medusa". Exelent horns which have no problems to compete with the other great 4 brands.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
The picture of the alto on their website looks like a P. Mauriat System 76. It has the Selmer Super Action 80 type keywork and the double armed C and B that the Mauriat has.

·
Registered
Alto and Soprano
94 Posts
Are these made in France? According to the web page it says "all of these pieces are made in France." Does that mean the parts and materials are from France but the horns are actually manufactured some place else?

·
Registered
Alto and Soprano
94 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Tobias. BTW, I'll be in Augsburg on Wednesday for 3 weeks. I am looking forward to a nice Riegele.

·
Registered
Alto and Soprano
94 Posts
What's Riegele!? :D It's a beer brewed in Augsburg. And it's delicious. I thought that it would be more popular throughout Germany. It was sort of a lame attempt at humor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,957 Posts
Brancher's mouthpieces, however, are mass produced, not the bespoke examples made by Gaurdala (pre lazer trimmed of course), or Barone. They happen to be quite good and are an excellent value.
I just tested some Brancher pieces, I can tell you they are more than just quite good. They are great sounding, precision crafted pieces (obviously not hand made) and are very consistent.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts