Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a few boxes if Brancher Jazz Reeds for Baritone Sax from Weiner Music last month. I like to keep a few boxes on hand in case.

I opened up one box of reeds today. The box's seal was unbroken when I opened it. I pulled out the cardboard sleeve to see that that sleeve did not contain any reeds.

I called Weiner Music. Talked to Sharon. She wanted a picture, but said that she did not think that Weiner Music could help me at all. I found her tone a little disturbing.

At over $4.00 a reed, I feel Weiner should do something, which is why I called them.

I did email them before posting here, but I wanted to bring this to other players attention in case this is not a random situation.

We will all wait and see what Weiner Music does. I will post the outcome here.

Here is what I found in the box of reeds.

20201228_144512.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had a negative experience with Weiner Music. I ordered a new Selmer Concept soprano mouthpiece from them. When it arrived it appeared to have been used. The box was crinkled, there were small chips along the tip rail. I did eventually get a refund. I understand that some companies allow mouthpieces to be returned so I had asked specifically that I wanted an absolute brand new mouthpiece, not something that had been used and returned.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Does Brancher have an office in the USA? Probably not, I can see where Weiner is coming from, technically it's not their problem. Email Brancher.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I disagree that it is not Weiner Music's problem. If they took my money it would definitely be their problem.

I will be waiting to hear if they give you the reeds your bought or your money back.
I bought from them earlier this month, but I can stop doing that.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,816 Posts
I received a box of reeds from wwbw several years ago and it was unopened. Three or four of the five reeds had been pushed too far into the plastic holders and were all damaged. The initial response from wwbw was that they don’t do refunds/ returns on reeds and I should contact rico/ d’addario. I did and they sent me a new box straight away...a week or so later I also received a new box in the mail from wwbw with a little note saying they made an exception. This was most definitely a manufacturer/ packing error

in the case of wiener music, who I like and have ordered from many times, I think the fact that the box was open/ not manufacturer sealed, that it’s 100% on them to make this right. I’m generally always on the side of the local/ small shop owner, but I highly doubt that box showed up open and empty from Brancher. Is it Nabisco’s fault or the grocery store if I buy a box of cookies off the shelf only to find out someone opened it and ate the contents already?

·
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I did email Brancher. I got an IMMEDIATE response from Pascal Brancher. He is going to send me a new box of reeds, whether that is trough Weiner or directly from Brancher I do not know. I figure this was a packing mistake either in mental lapse by someone working for a while without a break or some machine mis-fire. Either way, Brancher is taking some responsibility and promised a new box of reeds. One thing that concerned me was that Mr. Brancher said the box looked old. This was a very recent shipment from Weiner Music. I do not know if they are sitting on old reeds or if something else is happening here. I sit on unopened boxes of reeds, but for no more than a few weeks.

I have heard horror stories about the customer service of Weiner Music. The woman I talked to appeared to be a little less than friendly in demeanor. I have not heard word one from Weiner Music as of this posting.

I do have to say that if I found another business for these reeds, I would switch to that place in a heart beat. I just have not found that place.

I love this brand of reeds. They remind me of the old Rico Jazz reeds, but slightly harder in comparable strength. These are great baritone sax reeds. I highly recommend them.

If anyone knows where I can get the Brancher Reeds from other than Weiner, please let me know.

Saxer66, Pascal Brancher had a solution about twelve hours before your post here. His response to my email had to have been his first email of the day. That is a sign of pride and great customer service for me. I have not lost one bit of confidence in the Brancher name.

More as I hear it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,211 Posts
Call your credit card company and leave it to them to handle Weiner Music. I’ve had the same lousy customer service from them. Sometimes it is worth it, often not.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,469 Posts
//
I sit on unopened boxes of reeds, but for no more than a few weeks.
//

Hilarious. Sitting on old reeds is not a few weeks. Yes, Weiner often has old reeds.

I had a similar problem with reeds bought from Weiner a few years ago. After a LOUD complaint, they made it better.
Sounds like Brancher has fixed it here. Better is better.

·
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, to continue the story.

Pascal Brancher is taking the lead on my problem and sending me a new box of reeds to replace the missing ones. I have yet to hear from Weiner Music. I am anxious to see if the reeds I get directly from Brancher are different in any way from the ones I have gotten from Weiner. If they are, I will let you know.

As for my dealing with Brancher. The things I have read here about Pascal Brancher are true. If more people were like him in business, more businesses would be around. He stands by his products. He offered to send me box of reeds for another saxophone. I don't play another saxophone other than Baritone Saxophone, so I will let you know what he does send me. I did tell him I wished other places would carry his reeds.

If you play Baritone Saxophone, try these reeds. I love them. They are a lot more consistent than other reeds out there, except maybe Legere. I get better control out of my playing with these reeds than with any other brand. I also have found they last a lot longer than other brands of reeds. If you do not play Baritone Saxophone, try these reeds any way. I would be curious to read your reviews of them here.

If I ever hear from Weiner Music, I will let you know. Brancher listened to me, corrected the issue, and did so in a very professional manner. I am very happy with the outcome. The added gift of reeds was unnecessary, in my mind, and not what I was seeking. I think this was fluke in the packaging of the reeds.

I want to thank Pascal Brancher here on this forum for his time and attention and to those of you who vouched for him here. You were right.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I agree that Brancher has gone above and beyond in this case especially when he's 95+% sure that this wasn't their fault. If the box had still been sealed I would think differently but I suspect someone at Weiner was dipping into this box and swiping reeds for their kid, friend, or maybe their own gig or even giving them to folks in the store to test bari pieces.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,469 Posts
OP said
//
The box's seal was unbroken when I opened it.
//
Where I come from, that means that it was still a factory sealed box.

KeithL and swperry, you both seem to think the box was not sealed. ????

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Well either I read that wrong - totally possible, or he originally said they were not sealed and then edited that later ???
I'll make it easy - If the box was still sealed then it's Brancher's problem and they are right to take care of it. If the box was not sealed then someone at Weiner likely took the reeds out.

Years ago it was totally normal for people to buy a couple of reeds out of an open box so having an open box of reeds around would not necessarily be all that unusual so I should have also considered in my initial response as well. Though, I wouldn't expect they would sell singles from a box that only had 4 very expensive reeds to begin with. Regardless, as long as the OP is happy. Of course, I don't understand his logic if the box was empty to begin with - why is he angry with Weiner? He can switch over and buy his reeds from Brook Mays if he wants, as I posted above, but I don't know that I'd expect a much different response from them given the same situation.

·
12,873 Posts
I double that Pascal has a fantastic record of customer service. Its somewhat rare here in France but his is both stellar and appreciated by his customers. Hats off!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,647 Posts
Yeah I’ve had issues with Sharon before. She treats the customers like dirt. I won’t shop there anymore because of her. She must be related to the owner to be allowed to answer that phone. She needs to be in a job where she has no interaction with the public. I mean how hard it it to be nice on the phone?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts