Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a AKG clip on microphone designed for saxophones. When I bought it I was at a desperate need of a microphone at the time so it was the cheapest I could find. It costed 1000 DKR (around 200$).
It's sound quality is relative good ... just not when it's clipped on my saxophone. It captures the sound of my keys very loudly and is therefore useless to play with. When it isn't clipped on it sounds very good.

So, instead of buying a new I'm thinking of modifying it, so I can ret rid of the key noise. But how?
I have tried to turn down the low freuqency, but I then lose a great tone detail.
I have also tried to insert rubber or other soft materials between the clamps, but it won't work.

Then I thought of making some new clamps, cutting the microphone out and making a new stand so it could look something like this:

But how?
Any suggestions

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Does the sound of the keys enter normally via the air or via brass and neck (don't know the english word for this)?
What happens, if you simply bend the mic away from the keys into the bell? (silly question, I know)

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Taragot.

The sound of the keys enter through the microphone via the bell of the saxophone. If I tap the bell with a finger or push my keys I can clearly hear it in the microphones ouput.
I have tried many things, but I think it's just too sensitive.

Mvh. Daniel Martin.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Dear Daniel
what happens, if you bend the neck up, so that you get a more indirect sound, more from the upper keys (perhaps they do not resonate so much as the bells keys)? Or if you lower gain? Perhaps you can get the sound of the bell keys better sorted out with an equalizeror a notch filter? What amp do you use? Line or mic input? I don't have a clip mic but I've played with several and I never noticed too much disturbing key noise.
Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Taragot.

I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by bending the neck up? The neck of the saxophone or the neck of the microphone?
I have tried to lower gain and it helps a bit, but then I lose some essential tone of my saxophone. It is a compromise you'll have to deal with.
I use the mic input on my PA-system.

Which microphones have you tried?

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
1) Oil your keys
2) The sound of the keys is part of the sound of your sax. Can you still hear the keys when the band is playing?

Microphones amplify anything that's near them--they can't 'reject' a sound presented to them. So, you're going to have this 'problem' regardless of what microphone you choose.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
I have the same mic going to a wireless unit. I wound up getting an AMT clip-on that is mounted inside a rubber shock ring. It picks up far less key noise. I'm not sure how much of it is the mic and how much is the shock mount. You might be able to rig up a shock mount with a couple of rubber bands and a curtain ring

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, you're going to have this 'problem' regardless of what microphone you choose.
I disagree. I have tried other very good microphones which names I can't remmeber. Here the sound of the saxophones was crystal clear and not a sound from the keys was absorbed to the microphone. So I'm pretty sure my microphone is oversensitive. The key noise is not as clear when I play without my microphones.
But oiling my keys sounds like a good idea. Which oil should I be using?

Scott Ramminger:
Thanks for the advice. I will try to build a shock mount. That sounds like a good idea.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have tried that and i'm afraid it's not a solution to my problem.
When attached the microphone catches the key noise loudly even if the head is turned away from the saxophone. But when it's not attached, the microphone picks up the saxophones sound clearly without any key noises.
Maybe I should try to capture a video or audio file where I record with the microphone attached and the microphone unattached.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a clip on mic for recording. I thought we were talking about live?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, we were talking about live situations. My bad.
I was just wondering about whether I should record a sample with the clip on- microphone, so you guys can hear how it is like and hear where the problem is. :)

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Sure. I'd also recommend a recording with another mic, where the problem is less.

In my avatar, I'm using a clip on. I know it's really hard to see, but it's on the bottome of the bell, and is aimed at the upper stack. (The 57 is there for when I pick up the soprano, or if the wireless fails).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,023 Posts
Here's a cheap idea that might or might not work.

Take an old neoprene mouse pad and cut a strip out of it, maybe an inch wide and two and a half inches long. Wrap this over the lip of the bell and clip the microphone over it. If this is too thick for the clip, you might have to thin the pad with a razor or try something thinner to start with (maybe a neoprene coffee table coaster).

Put the cloth side toward the horn just so the rubber can't stick to the bell.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
I have the same mic (..an older model) that I bought 20 years ago. This is the way I fixed it with a piece of metal and a electrician tape:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EgilF How did you attach that metal plate? I can't quite figure it out. Just a lot of gaffa tape?
So you had the exact same problem that the key noise was unbarely loud? I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing that problem!
I have tried to attach a metal plate, but it's a bit more tricky than I thought. But thanks alot for the advice. Tusind tak. :)

Mal 2 I tried your solution yesterday. And I got closer to a valid solution, the key noise was reduced a bit, but defiently not all of it. About half of the key noise was reduced, but good idea! Thanks.

I have recorded a sample MP3 where I demonstrate my microphone. The first part of the track is recorded with no attachment at all between the mic and the saxophone. The second phrase is played when the microphone is attached to the microphone.
The difference is not as clear as I had hoped, the problem is worse standing next to the amplifier, but you can get an impression of it.

http://www.2shared.com/file/12735712/95ee6f70/Test_af_AKG_mikrofon.html
Click on the link at the bottom right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts