Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is boxing bad for your sax playing (dexterity of your fingers)? Even with gloves and protection? I would love to have the boxing training (I wouldn't do matches...) because I think it's very good for your strength and physical condition.

Btw: Miles Davis was a boxer ;)

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I would have thought the short answer is "yes"!! Hand injuries are very common in boxing and you need finger dexterity to play the sax. You mention Miles Davis. I'm actually not sure how much serious sparring he did - i know he liked to train. I'm pretty sure he would have taken good care of his hands and lips. I don't think he got beaten up much when boxing. When the police got close tto him, though.. Tht's another story!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes it is definitely bad for your hands. It also requires an enourmous amount of comittment and time to do even semi-seriously. As for Miles - I think he recognised a good photo op when he saw one! (Remind me - which album had that photo on the cover?)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
Most people think that boxing gloves are to protect the other boxer, and partly they are because they make the contact surface somewhat wider, but they are also somewhat for the protection of the hands, especially the nockles of the one who wears them. Taping the fingers also makes them stronger and less prone to traumas. I would ask your GP to ask a doctor specialized in sport medicine but my guess is that even if it is not very dangerous still is not very good. Read This might help you making an informed decision;)

By the way this article says something different about the protection of the hands that I knew about , I've been boxing a little long long ago and I was told different

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
HUH! Are U talking to me! :)
Hammertime (great boxing name by the way!) wasn't thinking of actually boxing..... but even in practice his hands, fingers and all the rest will be in danger. Not so much his head.....that is unless he practices the famous Hammertime Headbutt....more popular in Scotland than Belgium though :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
milandro said:
HUH! Are U talking to me! :)
Hammertime (great boxing name by the way!) wasn't thinking of actually boxing..... but even in practice his hands, fingers and all the rest will be in danger. Not so much his head.....that is unless he practices the famous Hammertime Headbutt....more popular in Scotland than Belgium though :D
No milandro, not you in particular. I agree, the training could be very good for you, but actual participation in matches is a worry - there are too many stories of people ending up with totally unnecessary brain damage.

Having said that, it could be good if properly managed. My fifteen year old daughter has recently taken up karate, and I must say that I am very impressed by both the discipline involved and also the care taken to avoid injury.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I use to do some boxing when I was younger. It will tear your hands up. You'll need to learn how to wrap your hands and tape properly, but even then your hands are going ache big time.

Boxing will also tear up your shoulders, elbows, and neck. If you're sparing(the only way to really learn boxing), you'll take hits to your face and wreck your lips and possibly damage your teeth. Many boxers have had their front teeth knocked out even with mouth guards.

About the only thing I still do from boxing is jumping rope which I still like to do a lot in the winter when it's too cold to cycle.

For the long haul I would say stay away from boxing as it's tough on your body. Boxing like many sports is a pain game. Miles Davis was never a boxer, they're are photos of him training, but that guy would have gotten the snot beatin out of him by most of the women these days.

The appeal of boxing might change for you if you visit a gym and someone puts a hurt on you. There's a lot of attitude with boxers and most of these guys have a very high tolerance for pain. Some of them are just plain stupid. I saw daily sparing matches with blood all over peoples faces and they were loving it.

·
4,046 Posts
stefank said:
My fifteen year old daughter has recently taken up karate, and I must say that I am very impressed by both the discipline involved and also the care taken to avoid injury.
Karate isn't even in the same league as boxing, until you get into a very very advanced stage and even then most boxers approach training in a much more intense fashion.

If you walk into a boxing gym and look around and compare those guys to what's in most martial arts academies these days the Karate guys/gals come off as cream puffs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm. I think I'll leave the boxing :D

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi, i box and so do other players like Benn Clatworthy. you just have to be careful about your hands. make sure you learn how to tape them as well as wearing the gloves.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It is quite easy to hurt your hands. There are alot of small delicate bones in your hands, that are nice to have in one piece when you handle you horn.
I've been into different martial arts for some time and once hurt my right hand thumb when sparring in kick boxing, light contact _with_ gloves. I will not say that I'd never go into kick boxing again, because it's great exercise, but as a (hot tempered) beginner it's very easy to get carried away and hit too hard and try other things you should not try yet (Link 10* for beginners, anyone? :) ).

It was interesting to see how important the right hand grip is. Try put your right hand on your head and keep it there during your next visit to the restroom... :p

I'd recommend you to check out taekwondo (*** "rules"). Even though it is a full contact sport there is very limited use of the hands during sparring. Great exercise for body _and_ spirit.
That said, accidents can always happen, but so the do at home, in classrooms, football (all versions) and icehockey as well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here comes the counter point...........

This is based on my own personal experience.
I've been involved in Tae Kwon Do for over twenty years.
Broken bones in the hand is something I have rarely seen.
Other broken bones, especially in the feet (toes), have been more common.
Punching hard surfaces with bare hands is routine and includes canvas covered bags, wood and stone (cinder block).

Outside of two larger than normal knuckles on each hand, I personally have not noticed any loss of dexterity playing keyboards or wind instruments.

I'm not saying accidents can't happen.
I should also state that hitting hard surfaces requires conditioning of the hards (such as punching into buckets of sand) to build up technique and resistance to injury.

My PERSONAL OPINION is that the boxing (and normal training) would NOT cause problems to your hands but it does put you at a higher risk for possible injury such as breaking a finger or wrist injury.

·
4,046 Posts
The problem with staying out of the ring and not sparing is that you'll never learn how to box. The prerequisite for sparing in boxing is being able to run 5 miles , jump rope for 30 minutes, and being able to make repeated speed drills on the heavy bag.

If you're over weight you can help your situation by going on a diet and running. If you can't jump rope than you'd better learn how to as it's probably the best training for getting used to staying accurate in the ring even though your completely exhausted. For me I love jumping rope and I'll admit showing off at the gym with the fancy footwork can really embarrass someone else trying to jump beside you. Nothing like multiple doubles and triples, skipping all over the place and numerous other tricks to intimidate.

For me it's not just the sparing that will mess you up. For you guys that have hit the heavy bag 3 to 4 times a week it can really inflame your joints in the wrists and that's going to screw up your chops as a musician. To me martial arts doesn't have enough really intense cardio like boxing. It will put you in good shape, but in my honest opinion you could get into running, swimming, or cycling and get your heart in shape. Join a gym and lift weights really hard for 15-20 minutes 5 days a week and you'll keep yourself in over all good shape with no risk to your sax playing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Duh

Generally smashing your hands into things with great force is bad for your finger, and getting your face pounded in with similar force may be bad for your playing and breathing in general.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
I don't like hitting people. I don't like it when people hit me. I don't understand why people like that. Most fights I got in as a young man, I was first runner up.

So, will boxing hurt your hands? Only if you pound on your chair too hard as you cheer for your man to beat the crap out of the other man.

A musician's hands are important. I stopped riding motorcylces after reading an article written by an ER doctor. Whenever he got a motorcycle accident victim, the first thing he looked for was shattered wrists. Horrors!

But I flew airplanes for years. It was easy on my hands. But not so easy on my ears. Today, most of my responses are preceded by, "Huh?"

Boxing is bad for your looks, however. Don't hurry things. You'll look bad soon enough.

·
4,046 Posts
Some of the sharpest looking guys have been great boxers. The old school guys, however especially the white guys that used oven mitts to pound each other look really horrible. White guys and Latino's seem to really show their road wear.

Your better boxers were great at hitting and not being hit. Roy Jones Junior comes to mind, but he's got reflexes and speed that maybe one in a billion might have.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The thing about boxing is that, unlike most other pursuits, you train hard and become very good, or you get your *** kicked, all of the time. It's not something you can commit halfway to. You might as well take up flipping off guys on Harleys for the amount of good it will do you if you are not committed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Gange said:
It was interesting to see how important the right hand grip is. Try put your right hand on your head and keep it there during your next visit to the restroom... :p
Well, I tried it and my left hand worked just fine!:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts