Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to trade out of my Yamaha 62II for quite a while. It was a good horn but it just lacked that certain something. Many people say Yamahas lack soul. As a former Yamaha owner I would have to agree. I've heard people rave about the King Super 20 for years but never had the pleasure of actually playing one. Until today.

In honor of Trane's birthday I took a road trip to Junkdude Music in Columbus, OH and played pretty much every tenor in the place (which is a lot). Boy are my chops tired. I made so much noise they had to go outside to use the phone :mrgreen:.

Anyway, it was a tough decision but the one horn I kept coming back to was a 1965 Super 20. Recet setup, all new pads, a real tone monster with excellent action. All I can say is the hype is justified. Wish I would've bought one of these years ago. My quest for a big, lush tone is over.

Here is the link to the horn on their website:

https://junkdude.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id_product=2376

FWIW: I think I got a good deal too. $3500 for the King with $1500 trade allowance on my Yamaha, which was good with me. I bought it second hand 2 years ago for $1600 and played lots of gigs with it. Not a bad return on investment if you ask me.

Happy Coltrane's Birthday to me!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ain't it great when you find THE horn?

Congratulations!.................These are fantastic horns for those of us who connect with them. The first time I played one, I just knew!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I felt the same way with my Couf! Awesome feeling!

·
6,831 Posts
When I was in high school, it was the Yamaha crowd vs the Selmer Paris crowd. I hadn't yet heard of Yanigisawa or Keilwerth at the time, let alone all these other awesome saxes!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
However, the above quote is a myth which seems to be perpetuated mainly on SOTW.
You're probably right. After all, there was a reason I bought that 62 in the first place. The action was very precise, the intonation was spot on, the tone was decent, nice and even from top to bottom. Just like every other Yamaha I ever played. After playing it daily for the better part of 3 years I finally got tired of trying to find the mojo and decided to trade it for something else. Along the way I play tested a bunch of different horns, including 3 different Yamaha 82Z's. The Custom Z's sounded better to my ear than the 62 but they still seemed to be lacking something (to my ear) and they all 3 sounded exactly alike. One of them I played side by side with a Mark VI. The 82Z actually played a little better than the VI all things considered but the VI had a certain character to the tone that was just simply not there with the Z. I even played a bunch of Taiwanese horns (3 different Cannonballs, for example) that all had more character (to my ear) than my Yamaha.

So it's probably a myth to say Yamahas have no soul. It's more accurate to say I cannot seem to produce the depth and complexity of tone that I'm looking for with a Yamaha. Call it soul, mojo or whatever. I looked for it high and low and found it in a King Super 20.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The Super 20 just has more "crunchy goodness" to the sound.

·
6,831 Posts
I found that "lack of soul" thing with my previous Tenor as well (Vito (Beaugnier) Model 38). It was darker than a VI, but not as dark as my Couf. The intonation was so spot on, that felt it actually difficult to bend the tones the way I like. Some like to call it "Centered". I'm more a "Spread and Dark" Tenor guy :) . I can get the bright on the Couf, but it's so much more spread, the overtones and color pallette are just amazing!

I've heard many people do this on Kings too (I have a 1926 King Bari, that for everything but the ergos, is a far superior sax to a VI! However, on Bari, I would sacrafice some tone for ergos, to make some passages easier!).

Which model of Super 20 did you get? I have a friend that has a Super 20 Silver Sonic Alto, that just rocks, and is darker than Java in a Cave paired with his Meyer 5!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which model of Super 20 did you get? I have a friend that has a Super 20 Silver Sonic Alto, that just rocks, and is darker than Java in a Cave paired with his Meyer 5!
It is not a Silver Sonic. All I can tell you is according to the serial # it was manufactured in Cleveland in 1965.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,213 Posts
Congrat! they are very good sax. I play two tenor of the same period the first, a 1965 (my first tenor) and the last, a 1964, both silver bell. terrific horn!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts