Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won this alto for $400 Best offer on eBay:

http://prevailingwoodwinds.blogspot.com/

I have a tenor in a similar serial range and just had to have it for the match. it needs some cleaning and smells like a spitoon in tuperware, but otherwise plays top-to-bottom.

I hope to post a review comparing it to an A880 and Bundy II I just worked on. I am also trying to get good pictures of it.

Just fyi. any questions about it?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Serial #? I have an Aristocrat alto with the "vertical" Buescher on the bell, S/N: 387,XXX that plays really well. Not as nice as yours, though.

Regards,
-g

·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Serial range is 432XXX, and no unfortunately, my Tenor is not is as good as condition as this Alto. they both do have all snaps and Nortons, luckily.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
I have a few of these, serials high 300,000's to low 400,000's...and they are very impressive, really. Incredible that they can be had so cheaply, when you think about it...but I guess the mystique of the Big B's and THC's cast a huge shadow....

·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...but I guess the mystique of the Big B's and THC's cast a huge shadow....
i think that's a great point. Also, they aren't viewed as "real bueschers" by some purists and get a bit lost in the shuffle with student line instruments of a similar era that also sport nickle plated keywork. I was thinking about doing one of those "owners club" threads for these floral models, but I wouldn't think more than about three of us would show up.

I haven't had time to go over it as I have other projects at the moment, but it's a real nice sounding instrument with a bit of brightness, and warmth. It's also a bit on the less focused side, which I oft-times prefer. The keywork is very nice and precise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts