Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 62 its coming in Wednesday i cant wait! Thanks for all of the advice you guys, but what mouthpieces do you recommend , I heard premiers are good? and whats some good tips about the horn?

·
Registered
256 Posts
vandorens are good i got an A20 (v5 series) and it works good, if you can find an old vandoren perfecta(discontinued) they seem to work well (for me) on the YAS 62 ii. umm for tips with the horn the register key can vary in height i dont know why but mine and one of my friend's register keys are slighty different in height. the eflat key is quick but resistant to other saxes ive tried.Relatively good sounding overall for the price. Theres not really any tips that i can think of for this sax except look after it :p. Ive got 2 decent sized dents in the neck :S

·
Registered
417 Posts
The standard Yamaha mouthpiece that comes with the YAS62 (4c?) is a good piece, definitely as good as a Hite Premier

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,191 Posts
Great alto. I had one and loved it. Try an Aizen new york style if you've got money, or any Meyer or meyer style alto piece.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe the YAS-62II is a model which comes with the 4c. The custom series gets a 4CM. That being said, the 62 is definitely a bright horn, so I would stay away from mouthpieces which are also bright. E.g Jumbo java, you said that you were in High School, right? If so, your director will certainly not be happy if you show up for a classical group with a Jumbo Java and a Yas-62. I'd recommend a very basic Selmer C* s-80. A great mouthpiece that will be fine for all styles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A selmer s-80 c* is like 110 bucks without the ligature, how can it be a basic mouthpiece at that price? And since the yamaha custom 4cm is made for yamaha horrns would the "cutom 4cm" be better then the selmer one? I mean the custom yami one not the regular one. And what do you mean by bright?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I play a Meyer metal mouthpiece with my YAS 23, and it gives a great, clean, very funky tone, but with flexibility.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,829 Posts
lots of suggestions, as ever!, what sound do you want?..thats the first question, secondly have you been playing long?, yes yamahas are bright horns, usually but you may be after a harder tone, so a piece that cuts"through may be the answer..ie high baffle m/ps,if its more mellow the meyers,etc are fine.
You have to try mouthpieces, because you will get a different sound than someone else, so one persons chioce may not be yours given the same set up.
As for how long you have been playing[if its not long then dont get an open piece, your embouchure wont be ready for it.]

·
Registered
108 Posts
A selmer s-80 c* is like 110 bucks without the ligature, how can it be a basic mouthpiece at that price? And since the yamaha custom 4cm is made for yamaha horrns would the "cutom 4cm" be better then the selmer one? I mean the custom yami one not the regular one. And what do you mean by bright?
Selmer has kind of high prices. You'll never out grow the s80 its a very traditional mouthpiece. It's basic in the fact that its very middle of the road. It's classical, but still it gives a sound that could easily be used for jazz. Maybe not at a professional level, but I know a great deal of teachers around here who still play on their C* simply because it's a very good piece. The 4CM is not a bad mouthpiece. I haven't read much in the way of reviews of it, but I have played on one. It's a very loud mouthpiece, with a little more bulk to the tone to it. I would say the C* is the better of the two to learn on.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I personally recommend Rousseau mouthpieces. Dr. Rousseau designed his mouthpieces around Yamaha saxophones, so hence, they play exceptionally well with them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I personally recommend Rousseau mouthpieces. Dr. Rousseau designed his mouthpieces around Yamaha saxophones, so hence, they play exceptionally well with them.
I'll second that. My Rousseau New Classic Alto MPC is great on my YAS-52. Very easy blowing across all registers...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Every alto player should have a HR Meyer in the drawer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Every alto player should have a HR Meyer in the drawer.
My teacher reached into his drawer of mouthpieces and pulled out an Ackerman refaced meyer. Worst piece I've ever played on. It's all up to what ya' like.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hm. I had no Idea. That probably explains why my usually tame YTS 23 will outplay pretty much anything I cam match it to when I've got my Rosseau on it.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
After twenty years of on and off playing I finally purchased a new alto. I've owned 5 vintage horns and I now realized that I've waste a lot of time and money searching for a horn with the sound I want to get because of all the hype given to what the great players all played.

I went to a local dealer to try an 82Z and was not impressed. It just didn't have that dark Johnny Hodges sound I've been locked into forever. I also found it kind of resistant. Anyway, they had a couple of 62II on hand and the first one I tried blew me away! Deep, dark and soulful. It projected so well that people from the other room came in to check me out and I received a lot of kudos on my sound. I love this horn! I took it to my tech and all I wanted adjusted was the Eb pinky key as it was a little stiff. He checked it over from top to bottom and commented that it was set up perfect right out of the box!

I'm currently playing a Bari HR .087 mouthpiece with whatever reed (2.5 - 3) that will play. I think I will search for a new piece to complete this set up. Although I'm 95 percent there!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I believe the YAS-62II is a model which comes with the 4c. The custom series gets a 4CM. That being said, the 62 is definitely a bright horn, so I would stay away from mouthpieces which are also bright. E.g Jumbo java, you said that you were in High School, right? If so, your director will certainly not be happy if you show up for a classical group with a Jumbo Java and a Yas-62. I'd recommend a very basic Selmer C* s-80. A great mouthpiece that will be fine for all styles.
ehhh i rocked up with a PMS Dave Guardala King hahaha. I liked it but everyone wasnt too happy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I'll second that. My Rousseau New Classic Alto MPC is great on my YAS-52. Very easy blowing across all registers...
I'll third it.
I use a 3R as my testbench alto piece.
I wouldn't personally recommend the Yamaha custom pieces, I wasn't at all impressed with them...and neither would I recommend a Selmer C* as I feel it tends to be a bit 'shouty' on the 62.
Best advice perhaps would be to stick with the piece it comes with for a little while, just to get used to the horn's ins and outs, then go try out a few pieces when you've figured out which direction you want to go with the tone.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts