Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning. I have toyed with this a long time. Frankly, i have been embarrassed to pose it as a question...but hey. So; I have bottom three teeth denture. Two sets, titanium frame. One time, i blew my tenor without them in. Massive bottom end, fat, lush. I have asked a lot of questions r.e. getting myself in shape again. So...is this an option. To play, minus, three bottom teeth. Equal pressure top teeth, bottom molars. Just those three out of the picture; reed supported by lip only...where it matters. I have asked this question to a few. Replies..." whatever works "...." ridiculous "....and the classic.." i can sell you just the mpc. you need ". I am just set up with a great neck Brill *3. I have never approached such a close mpc. before. So, my oddly embarrassing secret, is now a question. Frankly, i hope it is an option. Maybe after so many years, i should have more confidence in my own opinion. Dentures just feel so wrong. I feel more comfortable without. Totally relaxed. To look at my chops without denture, in playing position; it looks great...can it sound great....that is what matters. Little by little i am putting it back together. Your comments on here really would be appreciated. If i am totally wrong, please say....all feedback is appreciated. Thanks for your time....a

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
Absolutely you can do this. You may never get altissimo, or some of the top notes. I first learnt the lip out embouchure from a great tenor player (old school swing & big band player) who suggested that if your lip is strong enough, no teeth/jaw support is necessary at all.

I took that on board and did my best to develop such an embouchure and I now compromise between no teeth pressure at all for some styles, and a small amount of teeth helping for other styles or extreme high notes.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete, hi man. Always a pleasure. Thanks. My next point was exactly as you mention. I say lush bottom end. Higher i move up the horn, the flakier the tone and intonation. No problem, work on it. Thanks Pete, i really hoped this was a viable thing. Without that bottom denture; man, i feel at one with my horn. Relaxed. The reason i got the Brill #3, was to see if i could make it work....it can...it will. Thanks Pete....a

1 - 3 of 3 Posts