Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Has anyone tried Boston Sax Shop tenor saxophone reeds?
I like to see what your findings are regarding tone, consistency, and longevity.
I like if someone also has tried Roberto Winds reeds to compare the two (especially regarding tone and consistency). These are the two top choices in boutique reeds that I’m aware of and are available for me.
Thanks,
Arya

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,166 Posts
I’ve been playing my way through a box of Boston Sax Shop tenor reeds. They aren’t right for me, but they are excellent reeds! All five in the box play/ feel exactly the same. A nice vibrant and reponsive reed. I haven’t played Roberto’s in a number of years, but found them to be a bit dull and stuffy for me. The Boston Sax Shop reeds are very reminiscent of the Francois Louis reeds that may or may not still be around.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I made the switch from Rigotti Gold 3L to BSS 2.5 a few months ago. While they do play a bit darker and take longer to break in out of the box than the Rigotti, the evenness throughout the range of the horn, the lack of softening in a session or in a few weeks makes them really terrific for me. The reeds are consistent in playing character out of the box, with no need for adjusting. I’ve not ever tried Roberto’s.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've been using RW and BSS reeds on alto and tenor for a few months (since I switched back to cane from Legere Signatures). I also have both for soprano but prefer Legere Signatures for that horn. The RW are not that bad, better than Rigotti Gold for me. However, I like the BSS better... more consistent, fuller and warmer sound (without being overly dark) and more responsive. The good RW's in a given box are pretty good. However, I've gotten a few that just feel stiff and produce a somewhat hollow sound.

The BSS reeds are pricey, though.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
I have a box of 2.5 and 3 tenor reeds. For me, they are nice sounding reeds. Think of the response of Rigotti but a warmer/less bright sound. However, strengths were not consistent for me. I had 3s that felt like 3.5 and others that felt like 2.5....very inconsistent strength wise.

But, the good ones do play nicely. I still highly prefer Legere Signature reeds for consistency, tone, and response.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
I got a few 2s and 2 1/2s. They all played out of the the box. They feel darker than Rigotti, but I prefer the brighterRigotti since I play Links, but they play well and the low register felt easier to play. For some reason they played better on my STM than my Tone Edge.
Just make sure you get half a strength softer than you usually play. I also think they may take a little longer to break in but I think that will make them last longer too.
It’s a really good product.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I got a few 2s and 2 1/2s. They all played out of the the box. They feel darker than Rigotti, but I prefer the brighterRigotti since I play Links, but they play well and the low register felt easier to play. For some reason they played better on my STM than my Tone Edge.
Just make sure you get half a strength softer than you usually play. I also think they may take a little longer to break in but I think that will make them last longer too.
It’s a really good product.
Exactly my impression, there was another thread about this

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...New-Darker-Jazz-Reed-BSS-Custom-Reeds!!/page2

(and please don't call me Milandro :) )

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does anyone know where these are available in europe?
A bit late to the party on these as I was so close to making the switch to synthetics, but I just got a box of 5 tenor reeds 2.5 strength from Headwind Music in Bristol, if you're still looking for a European seller.

I've spent a couple of hours switching between all 5 - there isn't a bad one in the box. They sound and feel great on my ted klum london - really big, rich sound. Really responsive, no squeaks or chirps anywhere. Strength-wise, they seem the same as the Vandoren V16, d'addario jazz select 2H and rigotti gold 2.5 that I've used before.

I think I have a new favourite reed.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
994 Posts
I will state upfront that I'm exceptionally biased regarding the BSS and Jack due to my professional relationship with him, but I have been exclusively playing on Jack's BSS tenor and soprano reeds for the past seven or eight months. Moreover, I am using his reeds (along with Rigotti) for all of my mouthpiece work and much of my refacing work (which is primarily up to the customer), and the results have been exceptional.

Reeds are the foundation of our playing (the equipment variable responsible for producing the standing wave), and Rigotti made reeds, IMO, and especially Jack's designed reeds, provide the best platform for me, my mouthpieces, and my mouthpiece work.

(I also use his Heritage neck on my Yamaha Z II along with his Superlative ligature. Jack knows the saxophone and his designs are best accessories/extras I have played for the tenor saxophone).

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I’m with swperry1. I’ve been playing through my first box of 5 BSS reeds for a few months now. They aren’t for me either. They feel really free to vibrate, to the point I feel I’m having to work harder to control them. After these, I’m going back to my Rigottis.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I recently tied the BS reeds. I'm sure it's a great reed, but they just didn't work for me and my set up. I like try new stuff, but Im back to my Pfutmui.
20210125_201533.jpg

·
994 Posts
I recently tied the BS reeds. I'm sure it's a great reed, but they just didn't work for me and my set up. I like try new stuff, but Im back to my Pfutmui.
View attachment 9478
I love green and red java--I also love the packaging of all Vandoren reeds. It's the best packaging on the market, IMO. Many customers like to have their pieces set up with these two, so I have a good supply on hand. But most prefer Rigotti or BSS nowadays. My Dagradi piece was based on using Rigotti reeds with a secondary reed being what was RJS.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,481 Posts
interesting reed, who makes them? Reeds are stenciled in most cases from companies specializing in this. Marca and Rigotti being two brands heavily involved in third party production.

From the packaging it would look like they may be made by Marca. It would be nice to make a direct comparison which all the other brands made by Marca and see how similar this is to others.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I believe the BSS reeds are customized Rigotti's. I had been playing Rigotti's on alto and tenor exclusively for about 3 years, then I tried the BSS's in December 2019. For me, the BSS's give up a little edginess for additional tonal complexity (very subtly) but still retains the same responsiveness of Rigotti's that I like. My favorite Vandoren's are V-16's, I keep 1 or 2 around for a little variety once in a while, but I'm playing BSS's unless I want some additional brightness and edge from the Rigotti's.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe the BSS reeds are customized Rigotti's. I had been playing Rigotti's on alto and tenor exclusively for about 3 years, then I tried the BSS's in December 2019. For me, the BSS's give up a little edginess for additional tonal complexity (very subtly) but still retains the same responsiveness of Rigotti's that I like. My favorite Vandoren's are V-16's, I keep 1 or 2 around for a little variety once in a while, but I'm playing BSS's unless I want some additional brightness and edge from the Rigotti's.
This is exactly my experience with the BSS reeds vs Rigotti ... I prefer the BSS a bit more and have been playing on 2.5's for about a year and change now

·
994 Posts
interesting reed, who makes them? Reeds are stenciled in most cases from companies specializing in this. Marca and Rigotti being two brands heavily involved in third party production.

From the packaging it would look like they may be made by Marca. It would be nice to make a direct comparison which all the other brands made by Marca and see how similar this is to others.
The BSS reeds are Rigotti made reeds and are quite well designed and implemented, IMO. I know Marca makes Alexander reeds. Don’t know who else Marca makes reeds for. Those are definitely the big players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,481 Posts
Marca makes the Francois Louis, I believe they made Ponzol reeds too

1 - 20 of 29 Posts