Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I just bought a Boss GT-8 to use with my saxophone.
I have no experience what so ever with effects and I'm just wondering if you had any good tips or suggestions on what I should try, and also what the GT-8 is capable of.
So, what are your experiences with the GT-8 and other guitar effect pedals?
/ Philip

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,207 Posts
I have a GT-3 that I used for a while. These are great floor processors and will get you a long way down the line of electronic effects, if you learn how to use them!

It's tricky to get guitar pedals to work for saxophone. The best solution I've found is to go through a guitar amplifier (for example, I have a Peavey Classic 30 tube amp that works well-- Polytones are even better). Keyboard amps and powered PAs work well, too, and will get you a cleaner sound.

Stay away from the distortion and overdrive sounds-- you'll be using a microphone, and that's bad, bad news unless you really know how to limit the signal. I don't mess with it.

Reverb, delay, envelope filter, octave, and pitch-shift effects will be winners. Mess around with chorus and flanger, too, they can make for cool sounds, especially on top of some delay.

For sound ideas, go to myspace.com/rudderbandnewyork and listen to what Chris Cheek does. Get Rudder's albums, if you can. In my view he's THE master of using guitar effects pedals with saxophone. Experiment and have fun with your sounds. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts