Sax on the Web Forum banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
FWIW and OBTW, I considered swapping the necks among tenors yesterday to see how much of the character followed the neck. The tenon of the OBT neck is SUBSTANTIALLY SMALLER than than of the big bell Jubilee tenors - so much so that the neck flopped around in the receiver. Not even close.

Bottom line: Both the neck tenon and bell flare are smaller on the OBT.

· Registered
59 Posts
Did you find any differences in sound between the small and the large bell versions? Do you notice a bigger sound in the seconds?
It must be different also the approach. The way you push the air in the sax and the power and bal bla bla...

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Did you find any differences in sound between the small and the large bell versions? Do you notice a bigger sound in the seconds?
It must be different also the approach. The way you push the air in the sax and the power and bal bla bla...
Z - They are all different. Of the gold pearl, silver pearl OBT, and UL, the sound varies quite a bit to my ears. I have played them each with the big band now, and love the punch and presence of the OBT in that setting. Of course, it is the one with the smaller tenon bore, smaller bell flare, and silver pearl - it also has considerably taller key heights than any of the others. I'll likely keep playing my silver plate Jubilee until the OBT is overhauled. Once the OBT is set to similar specs, it'll be a more compelling comparison.

· Registered
1,361 Posts
FWIW and OBTW, I considered swapping the necks among tenors yesterday to see how much of the character followed the neck. The tenon of the OBT neck is SUBSTANTIALLY SMALLER than than of the big bell Jubilee tenors - so much so that the neck flopped around in the receiver. Not even close.

Bottom line: Both the neck tenon and bell flare are smaller on the OBT.
Hi Doc.
As I have suspected for quite some time ... and now have confirmed.
It's the same size bore as a ya standard Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa.
It would also explain the post height.

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Hi Doc.
As I have suspected for quite some time ... and now have confirmed.
It's the same size bore as a ya standard Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa.
It would also explain the post height.
It may be similar, but it isn't the same bore overall. It still has a signature tone that is a strong contrast to the also-rans that you cite.

I characterize the OBT and big-bell Jubilees as more similar to the Buescher Big B and TH&C. Too bad that I traded those away to acquire these - it would be fun to compare them head-to-head.

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Congratulations Dr G! The pics are still on pmww. That's a nice horn!

FWIW, my Jubilee Lovano 191xxJ does not have the high F# either, to comment on your earlier question. While my Silver 195xxJ does have the F#. Wow, this thread goes several years back!

Now I'll have to buy a 3rd Borgani to stay ahead of you :)
Well, I am now at an equilibrium number of Borgani tenors - TWO is the magic number. Both the UL and gold pearl horns are sold, and the silver pearl (OBT) and silver plate tenors remain.

Bottom line regarding the OBT tenor: The character of the Borgani Jubilee remains, regardless of the bore or bell flare dimension. Viva Borgani!

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Whew, I am really digging this lil' OBT tenor - and it is SO different in tone. Whether its the finish or form, it is very much a contrast to my silver plate Jubilee. On the silver plate horn, my Lamberson J6/J115 is The Stuff.

Last night I spent some time with the Lamberson L7 that I used to use on my Super 20. Just as on the Super 20 (320xxx), it POPS on the silver pearl OBT. When I swapped it to the silver plate horn (same reed and ligature), the sound was thin and almost annoying.

This underscores, to me, the need to know your mouthpieces and horns, and match them appropriately. If you go horn shopping with your ol' Go-To, you may miss out on a great horn.

When it comes to great tenors, I have only two words to say - Borgani, Borgani!

Hah, I guess I could have distilled that down to only one. :twisted:

Borgani.

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
And here they are...

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Update - the OBT is freshly overhauled and on its way home!

So shiny - I wonder if if plays brighter... :twisted: :borg:

Thanks, Matt!

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I have a pearl silver alto, bought at Roberto's...
And now it's here! Pictured below are: pearl gold OBS, pearl silver OBT, and pearl silver OBA.

Mouthpieces: Phil-Tone Sapphire .070, Phil-Tone Intrepid 7*, Phil-Tone Intrepid 7.

Thumb rests by Forza, neck straps by Just Joe's Gel Strap.

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Here's an interesting one. Apparently a limited edition run of bent neck sopranos with UL body and silver plated mechanism.

The owner has a full set of interchangeable bells: original brass, silver plate "power" bell, and bronze "power" bell.

Bella! (Note the serial number stamped into the underside of the keys.)

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Here's an interesting one. Apparently a limited edition run of bent neck sopranos with UL body and silver plated mechanism.

And now it is here - shipped from Italy on Tuesday, and landed halfway (2/3?) 'cross the states on Friday.

This is a wild one. Much like my experience comparing Borgani Jubilee tenors of different finishes head-to-head, the two half-curved Jubilee sops have very different character. Is it the finish? I don't really care. Both of them have great voices and response.

What's better than a Borgani sop? Two. :twisted: :bluewink: :borg: :borg:

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Here're a couple more shots of the OB UL/silver plate sop - 'cause I doubt that you'll ever see another!

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Update straight from Massimo at Borgani:

"The bore and the volume of neck, body, elbow and bell of your OBT and J Tenor saxes are exactly the same.
(Emphasis added by me)

You couldn't interchange their neck because the neck plug on the body is different, so that plug make it not possible. Another thing that could be different is the shape of the final part of the bell, but it not effects the sound because it changes after the tone holes. We changed the shape of the final part for a modern look.

So for your collegues the J body is still available.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any question, kind regards, Massimo."

There it is! I was soooo sure that they had different neck bores because the OBT and J necks would not interchange - turns out that it was due to a change in the tenon, not the neck geometry.

My two horns feel different in the hands, but after a really close look, I determined that the palm keys have a slightly different contour that results in the OBT palm keys sitting just a lil' bit farther out from the tube. The stop on the J side Bb is also slightly lower. The neck on my J was adjusted/modified by Karsten Gloger before I got the horn, so I don't know what changes that made. Bottom line: They both sound great.

· Registered
4,215 Posts
Update straight from Massimo at Borgani:
"The bore and the volume of neck, body, elbow and bell of your OBT and J Tenor saxes are exactly the same..."
That's very interesting. What do you think makes them sound so different in tone then? Seems like their intent was to 'refresh' the design but keep the core sound characteristics by not changing these dimensions?

38,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
That's very interesting. What do you think makes them sound so different in tone then? Seems like their intent was to 'refresh' the design but keep the core sound characteristics by not changing these dimensions?
I really don't know. Now that I "know" they are the same, will they sound more alike? The setups on mine are different with regard to resos, but beyond that, both were overhauled by Matt, and both have the soldered body-bow band; the OBT lacks a high F#. Yes, I perceive my two as different, but compared to everything else, they are both very much Borgani with regard to their core.

Other variables: Finish. Change in tenon/receiver. (I wonder if an OBT with the larger bell flare sounds like the J?)

Be well, my friend.

All the best to you and yours,

George

101 - 118 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.