Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm still intrigued by the lack of high F#. Why would anyone do that? :twisted:

·
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
View attachment 30661 View attachment 30662 View attachment 30663 Found another change,the new OB models have a smaller bell flare,the 1 and 2 are the new models,gold pearl the jubilee.
The OB should be on its way to my friend soon. I'll see about getting a bell diameter value. Do you think they are looking at the Buescher Big B for influence?

Hmmm, I've got to finish liquidating some Stuff outta my closet to be better able to respond to the next OB that comes available. I can't believe I didn't notice that Borg' at PM Woodwinds. Ah well, I'm glad that it's staying "in the family".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Frankly I'd be curious to see if Borgani advertises on that magazine...
If you read the thread on saxforum.it I mentioned before you can see how several posters noted quite the opposite. Unfortunately posts are not numbered among threads so I can refer some just based on the posting time:

Examples:
- no noise at all in the factory (post 5 settembre 2009, 13:08),
- witness of absence of machineries needed to produce saxophones unlike Rampone Cazzani factory (post 5 settembre 2009, 12:46)
- when asked, Orpheo Borgani mentions they do the hammerwork in another undisclosed factory to avoid noise in light of neighbours' complaints (post 26 settembre 2009, 16:33)
- they report having 8 persons in their paycheck list, including the president and the secretary (post 7 settembre 2009, 15:28)
- notation ''made in Italy'' no longer appears anywhere (post 29 marzo 2011, 16:56) - This posters complains about very poor workmanship of his alto sax paid 2500 euros

All these remarks are non-existent for the other Italian saxophone maker, R&C.

I think the choice to procure parts elsewhere is legitimate and can have also very good non-economical reasons such as the unavailability of young trained craftsmen to replace the retiring ones (Italy does have a problem to find artisans to replace the older ones who contributed to build the craftsmanship reputation of the country so high).
I just think it should be disclosed as one of the main differentiation strategies available to them is the fact that their instruments are ''handmade in Italy''.
One step in the right direction of transparency seems to have been taken already with the absence of MADE IN ITALY from their instruments (not sure if that was just an episode or not though).

This guy went to the factory,read on.

I learn that the company produces around 350 saxophones per year. As more enquiries about a Borgani baritone are being received, Orfeo is seriously considering adding a baritone to the catalogue. It's a big step. It involves research and design and - more critically - investment in a new batch of tools and machines with which to make the larger horn. Everything is made here in the factory except for key posts and pads. These are made locally by a contractor and bought in. The standard of these subcontracted items is closely monitored. For the pads, special felt is specified. Plastic, gold, copper and silver reflectors can be chosen.

Now I'm taken on a conducted tour of the factory. I see the conical tubes of crooks and bodies being beaten into shape on a mandrel, then extruded through a lead collar and hand finished. Necks begin as a straight, conical, tube. They are loaded by flowing in warm pitch (distillation of tar). At room temperature the pitch becomes rigid, brittle. The neck is then bent by hand in one movement. A special-purpose pipe bending tool of the sort used by pipe-fitters is used. The pitch inside prevents the tube collapsing and can easily be broken up and removed from the curved neck. Tone holes are extruded hydraulically. Then follows more polishing and finishing of the bare bodies and bells.

We pause to stroke Jimmy, the factory cat. He's working on his tan in the warm midday sun and is not too keen to be interrupted. So we leave him and move on quickly to view the assembly. Jigs and braces hold pillars and straps in place for brazing and silver soldering, all done by hand. It's instructive to see the brass stencil which guides the engraving tool used to add the bell decoration. This is one aspect of saxophone construction that seems to vary from company to company.

The visit to the Borgani factory was nothing less than a revelation, and a very enjoyable experience. Much more remains untold, about the beauty of the Marche region (the area where Macerta is located), about the historic beauty of the walled town of Macerta itself, and about the warmth and kindness of Orfeo, Cristiana and Marco. Even Jimmy eventually consented to spare a moment to have his ears scratched.

But above all the visit taught me something about my own saxophone requirements, the sort of experience I wish I could have enjoyed at the beginning of my playing career.

This is an edited version of an article that first appeared in the Dec/Jan issue of Crescendo Magazine and CASS Magazine
© John Robert Brown

·
Forum Contributor 2014, Distinguished SOTW Member
2,087 Posts

·
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
- notation ''made in Italy'' no longer appears anywhere...
I saw that as well...

I certainly cannot speak to the rest of the allegations but I believe that the remark regarding the lack of "made in Italy" applies to some lesser line of horns - not the Jubilee series that clearly does maintain "Made in Italy" stamped below the serial number.

http://www.borgani.eu/en/gallery/sax/

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I saw that as well...

I certainly cannot speak to the rest of the allegations but I believe that the remark regarding the lack of "made in Italy" applies to some lesser line of horns - not the Jubilee series that clearly does maintain "Made in Italy" stamped below the serial number.

http://www.borgani.eu/en/gallery/sax/
Yes the jubilees i seen,had have all had MADE IN ITALY on them.So does this mean our jubilees will become the holygrail of borganis 1 day.

·
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Any chance of pics,borgani say there always trying to improve so mabe thats it
It is so un-Italian to sub work out to other's...within Italy yes, but outside...

Dr G. No High F# was standard on the Ponzol...And you can still order that on any horn new from the factory.

My Jubilee (low B arms ) ...sorry, I still don't know how to put them on the page !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
It is so un-Italian to sub work out to other's...within Italy yes, but outside...

Dr G. No High F# was standard on the Ponzol...And you can still order that on any horn new from the factory.

My Jubilee (low B arms ) ...sorry, I still don't know how to put them on the page !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
To tell the truth the more i look i think my 1st borgani pearl silver had that double B now.Thats a fine looking horn,if you ever have a crazy thought of selling give me 1st chance!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
To tell the truth the more i look i think my 1st borgani pearl silver had that double B now.Thats a fine looking horn,if you ever have a crazy thought of selling give me 1st chance!!!!!!
Thank you dave. I will keep you in mind.:bluewink:

A friend of mine sent me an email about a Borgani Ponzol Alto that is up for sale at Roberto's. Would have been intrested in blowing that.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Thank you dave. I will keep you in mind.:bluewink:

A friend of mine sent me an email about a Borgani Ponzol Alto that is up for sale at Roberto's. Would have been intrested in blowing that.
That ponzol looks brand new,thats been hiding away a good few years.He's wanting top cash for it though.Those ponzols borgs are very very rare indeed.So Howarths will be the new borg dealer over here.Nice to know theres going to be a place to play them.Wait and see how much they go for.I still love the fact i have the only black silver jubilee tenor in the UK:twisted:

·
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hi Doc

I have a friend looking for a Borg Tenor...So if he falls out of love with it please do give me a nod.
Will do - but it's not likely to happen, is it?

·
Registered
426 Posts
41 - 60 of 118 Posts