Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine tripped into a deal at PM Woodwinds and is coming out of the trade with a Borgani tenor.

I haven't before seen this type of serial number from Borgani: "OB1233".

Here's the horn: http://pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=2716

My best guess is a special edition Jubilee-type horn - "OB" perhaps referring to Orfeo Borgani.

Anyone heard of these horns?

·
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Serial number starting with "OB"???

Hmmm, just noticed that it has no high F#!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Its 1 of the newer versions as it has the newer neck socket design like my black silver J Borg,my 1st pearl silver J borg had the chunky metal type neck socket.Its a jubilee but no J ? i think your right about the OB bit.I have had thoughts the last week of getting a Lovano or pearl silver borg next year to add to my black silver 1.Gasssssssss

·
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you're finding that the Borg' tenors play alright??? :twisted:

Have you seen, felt, or smelt the silver power necks??? Mmmmmmmmmm...

I look forward to playing that "OB" horn. I cannot, however, imagine that it could displace my silver plate horn.

Hey, you don't have one of those either!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
View attachment 30622 View attachment 30623
So you're finding that the Borg' tenors play alright??? :twisted:

Have you seen, felt, or smelt the silver power necks??? Mmmmmmmmmm...

I look forward to playing that "OB" horn. I cannot, however, imagine that it could displace my silver plate horn.

Hey, you don't have one of those either!
found this pic on borganis home page,this alto has the OBA ,and that neck looks amazing,i mailed borgani about a month ago and they said it would cost me about 450.00 euro from them direct.:twisted:

·
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, what is the link of that page?

Nice find!

Ah, there they are - in the Gallery, under Saxes.

Looks like "OB" are the current series of horns.

Thanks.

·
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Borg' Boy - I started looking 'round the new and improved Borgani gallery and found the "Working in Progress".

http://www.borgani.eu/en/gallery/working-in-progress/

It's fun to see images of the people that actually made the horns that we play. That is one tiny shop. No mass produced horns here!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Borg' Boy - I started looking 'round the new and improved Borgani gallery and found the "Working in Progress".

http://www.borgani.eu/en/gallery/working-in-progress/

It's fun to see images of the people that actually made the horns that we play. That is one tiny shop. No mass produced horns here!
Yes it makes you feel atad special knowing your a select few.We are a unique breed us borg converts.Love the small workshop with the very old gear in it.Heres a pic of there special edition alto that has the normal jubilee numbers and found a soprano with this new OBS on it.I feel like a private eye here.I am clever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, now we know there is something afoot at the Borgani shop - now we need to know what it is!

One data point: The tenor at PM Woodwinds has "OB" and no high F#.

Is this something other than a Jubilee?

I asked my friend that if he doesn't bond with the new Borg' to send it to me for trial.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Alright, now we know there is something afoot at the Borgani shop - now we need to know what it is!

One data point: The tenor at PM Woodwinds has "OB" and no high F#.

Is this something other than a Jubilee?

I asked my friend that if he doesn't bond with the new Borg' to send it to me for trial.
Are you hoping he wont bond with it ???????? i am going to email borgani to get this OB mystery solved.You know you want 2 borg tenors,it just makes sense.

·
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you hoping he wont bond with it ????????
I don't really know how I feel about that. He has a room full of Mk VIs and I'd really like to watch the Borg' kick their collective a$$e$. But beyond that, I'm wondering whether it can surpass my current Borg'. I doubt it.

i am going to email borgani to get this OB mystery solved.You know you want 2 borg tenors,it just makes sense.
Well, it does lack a high F#, so it is different. :twisted:

Given that Orfeo is actually DOING something rather than watching everyone else, I'm eager to learn what's going on in Macerata.

Cheers!

·
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, TJ. Given that the tenor in question has "OB1233", there must be a few others out there - but the beginning of the limited edition series might be a clue. I'll see if I can determine the year they started that - fairly recent, as I recall.

I found it - 2007. Given that they make about 300 horns a year, I guess a serial of "OB1233" makes for a fairly current build (assuming they are sequential).

Does your "130" have any features (e.g. no high F#, etc.) to distinguish it from other Jubilee horns?

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
It's the finish/materials that's the distiquished in the limited editions I believe. Mine has a solid sterling silver neck and bell with gold brass body. It does have the high F#. I remember reading on Borgani's website when the horn was made that the "130" name was to commemorate the years of Borg company existence. Hence why the current model is called the "135".

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
It also looks like the double arm on Low B has now gone for good !
What double arm on B ??? If you mean the Low C its still there.Also on all the spec on the borgani site they state the double arm low C still.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Heres Borganis reply,they were fast.
Dear Mr. David,

Thank you very much for your e-mail and for your interest about our Saxophones.

About the Serial numbers on our horns, we changed on Alto because it is a new model (it is "135" the new model, complete different from previous "jubilee") and on Soprano and Tenor because they are new version of our jubilee model.

We are starting a new co-operation in UK with a new dealer in London, Howarth. I hope that you could inform all your friends that now you could ask them to try our Saxophones.

I also would like to introduce our new ligature Flexitone it is made in the same brass alloy of our Vintage instruments that ensuring flexibility and excellent resonance. It is also available in nickel-silver that has a brighter sound and bronze that has a richer and powerful sound. I attached a picture of them.

Main features of this accessory is the ability to hold the reed stopped for maximum flexibility and greater development and propagation of sound. This grants extreme ease of playing and at the same time it is easy to use, because it is extremely simple to apply on the mouthpiece.

It is possible to find them in the following sizes:
• “L” for rubber mouthpieces for Alto, Tenor Sax and Clarinet Bb•“S” for rubber mouthpieces for Soprano Sax and for metal mouthpieces (except Ottolink) for Alto, Tenor Sax.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any question, kind regards, Massimo.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Massimo is THE MAN! - source of all things Marketing and Spares from Biragani - Very helpful guy!

Blowhard2

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sorry about the Indian spelling mistake ! inexcusable in my haste !

BH2

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good stuff Mr David! Thanks for posting.

At last we'll be able to try these out in London! Yes, try not buy (unfortunately!).

Cheers,
M.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts