Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying to research the subject for quite a while, I have hit the wall.

My question is: how would you say the old vintage horns compare to the new models.
Please don't get confused by the word "vintage". I think there is a modern model called "vintage".
That's not what I mean.

I've heard some great things about the modern horns but they are quite expensive.
How much would you say is an ok price to pay for a vintage Tenor (from the 70's) and how would
you rate their general quality (sound..mechanics...etc)?

Thanks a lot in advance!
- Ilia

·
Registered
283 Posts
I’ve never played an old Borgani tenor but my 70’s era Borgani soprano was easily the worst horn I’ve ever had. I would love to try one of the new tenors now as they seem to be universally loved.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Borgani saxes from prior to their collaboration with Joe Lovano (mid 90’s onwards) are not worth much consideration.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,791 Posts
I have had a coupleof Borganis from the ’70 , including a curved Soprano and a Tenor.

They are like most Italian saxophones of that era. Some are rough around the edges while having a great voice but some (in particular the top models by Grassi) were very good even mechanically (compared to the state of the art of the era) .

For years and years technicians around the world were treating the Italian production of those years pretty much in the same way as they treated the early Taiwanese and Chinese production, until a few players started using those vintage Italian horns professionally.

So Garbarek with his curved Santoni soprano and few people ( sorry can’t remember who) playing Grassi have considerably pointed the attention on these early models.

I have owned played and sold several Italian made horns. Despite the fact that some aren’t at the top of the game (mechanically) they weren’t bad at all. I would certainly check Rampone & Cazzani FISM , Orsi, Santoni, Desidera, Borgani, Alfonso Rampone and Grassi. There are some very interesting horns among them.

A friend of mine still owns a Curved Orsi, a curved Borgani, a semi curved Borgani.

I have played them all and found them to have great sound and decent mechanics, can one compare them to a modern Yanagisawa mechanics ?, No, but the sound is certainly not bad at all and some times as good as... (my opinion).

Having said this, if you are looking at a Borgani from the ’70 I would certainly try one. The one I had wasn’t sold for a lot of money and if I remember well went to a tech which then proceed to overhaul it and sell. It wasn’t a bad horn but I have seen better, in fact I have seen a Borgani Mark VIII ( yes they made one! https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?240529-The-Borgani-Mark-VIII) and a Borgani model “ Sal Genovese” ( a local, in Italy, famous player) which were very well made.

Anyway, if you are looking for one you should certainly try in Italy ( Mercatino Musicale) they have one currently for €580 which isn’t a bad price at all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts