Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was able to try for a few days a Ponzol Borgani, it was supposed to implement the best characteristics of all the great vintage tenors. I was underwhelmed by it and the relationship between Ponzol and Borgani was short lived. I know nothing about the Jubilee model.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hello.

I play a Ponzol Borgani.
I have owned a very nice Jubilee and have also played 6 other Jubilee Tenors that were on sale a Allegro Music in Oxford.. they were at one time the main dealer in this part of the world and I have known the shops owner, Roger for many years.
The Ponzol is rare...extremely Rare ! I have been contacted by people that were convinced that they own a Ponzol and it turns out not to be a Ponzol.
The body of the Ponzol is made from a very high quality brass with a high copper content, that it quite soft. The grade of the Brass in slightly thinner than that of the Jubilee. And the Jubilee is harder and heavier horn ...in the same way as a SBA would be lighter than an Yanagisawa if you catch my drift.
I have always felt that the Jubilee was heavily influenced by Yanagisawa but with a slightly larger bore size.
Both the Ponzol and the Jubilee are pretty much built around the same bore size / pattern...but the Ponzol has no double arms and no high F#.
The Ponzol’s were all finished with a rag-rolled artificial aging process ( Vintage look )... and the Jubilee Vintage horns are just bear brass.
Now I obviously prefer the way the Ponzol plays/sounds as my relationship with this horn dates back quite some way now.
The Jubilee is a more resistant horn ...the one I bought had a nice core and once rebuilt by Griff another SOTW member played really well.
The Ponzol is a more free blowing horn . It has more reverb, in the same way as an SBA would have more reverb than a Reference 36 or indeed the Yanagisawa.
That sums up the difference...the Ponzol harps back to older manufacturing, it really is a retro built horn, where as the Jubilee is more modern in its sound and construction. The Jubilee is darker than other modern horns...as it has that slightly larger bore size.

Both very good Tenor saxophones ... but with different aims.

My Kind Regards.

ManEast

1 - 6 of 6 Posts