Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help someone.. To me offered a new saxophone(Borgani 135 Alto 24k Polished Gold). It is the same horn Anna Brooks plays>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9EbKUrnns
As you think it isn't worse than Selmer 54 ref.? It looks gorgeous! Whether is it sounds as well as looks?.

Your help and professional advice is necessary to me. As soon as possible, it is sad if the saxophone is good and I will miss the moment.

My kind regards! Kane Price.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I sold my new tenor selmer reference 54 (and lost some money doing that) to buy a borgani pearl silver tenor, I have never regretted it, it is source of ongoing joy. I went on to sell my selmer series III soprano in favor of a borgani vintage jubilee soprano and that's the same story ongoing joy.

Even I have never played a reference 54 alto, even If they got quite a reputation.. FWIW even I don't play alto, I know what I would do! good luck mate :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,235 Posts
Kane, I, too, am a longtime Selmer player (Balanced Action, Mk VI, Serie III, and Reference 36) that went to Borgani tenors. I haven't played the altos. I've sold my Selmers and now own just one tenor - a Borgani silver plate Jubilee.

As to whether it could be worse than a Ref 54? Certainly not.

Do you have a chance to play it? Perhaps a trial/approval period?

Here's one at Thomann.de - pretty horn indeed.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/borgani_135_special_edition_altsax.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good evening friends. Thanks for the reply! People talked that Selmer sounds more brightly than Borgani and that a sound in Selmer Ref.54 more thoroughbred. Is it truth?? But on this video it rules!> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_eFm_-HMQ8
Unfortunately I can't try Borgani. They offered me 135 Alto 24k straight from factory for $4000. All taxes and delivery are included in the price. They tell that this special offer.

·
33,235 Posts
That is a smokin' deal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Deals that are too good to be true are often not true. $4k is very cheap. Either this is a scam, the horn has problems, or someone doesn't know what they are doing.
I own 3 Borgani Jubilee horns (straight soprano, alto and tenor). I love all three, BUT both
the alto and tenor had manufacturing problems that caused their original owners to sell them. With the tenor, I'm the third owner. Since I don't play in public, I had
the luxury of fiddling with the alto and tenor each for a year or two, taking them over and over again to a good shop as I find more issues, until they finally play like they should.
In one sense, I got great deals -- I have three horns (two of which were about half retail) that I play and have no desire to look further, but it has taken several years to get to this point. if I'd had to play the alto in public, I would have had a problem -- it was just very hard to play The kind of problems I had on my Borganis include: leaking necks (both alto and tenor), a hole in the octave mechanism that was oversized, preventing a positive seal of the body octave on low notes, bent cups, poorly installed (not enough glue) or cheap pads, loose rods, bent tone cups, plus the usual slightly uneven tone holes. So you ought to play this horn to see what you are getting into. Once a Borg plays right, though, you will love it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,991 Posts
The choice is pretty simple.
If you want the traditional Mark VI vibe... buy the Ref. 54, which does not sound exactly like a VI but it goes in that sound direction.

If you want something not related with the Mark VI vibe... the Borgani can be a good choice!

·
Banned
1,055 Posts
Please help someone.. To me offered a new saxophone(Borgani 135 Alto 24k Polished Gold). It is the same horn Anna Brooks plays>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9EbKUrnns
As you think it isn't worse than Selmer 54 ref.? It looks gorgeous! Whether is it sounds as well as looks?.

Your help and professional advice is necessary to me. As soon as possible, it is sad if the saxophone is good and I will miss the moment.

My kind regards! Kane Price.
If your interested, she's selling her Alto £1750
PS She also said that as a sponsor for the said maker, they are going to give her a new Alto, hence the reason for the sale. So much for the belief that makers don't give free instruments to there endorsers.

·
33,235 Posts
Deals that are too good to be true are often not true. $4k is very cheap. Either this is a scam, the horn has problems, or someone doesn't know what they are doing.
I own 3 Borgani Jubilee horns (straight soprano, alto and tenor). I love all three, BUT both
the alto and tenor had manufacturing problems that caused their original owners to sell them. With the tenor, I'm the third owner... Once a Borg plays right, though, you will love it.
RB - The OP is citing a new horn coming straight from the factory. At the stated price, it is a good deal - even if it requires a setup.

If your interested, she's selling her Alto £1750
PS She also said that as a sponsor for the said maker, they are going to give her a new Alto, hence the reason for the sale. So much for the belief that makers don't give free instruments to there endorsers.
That's not a thunderclap, Hamish. It underscores the fact that various companies have differing policies.

As Tzadnik notes, this is not your Selmer clone. If you want a Selmer Mk VI sound, the Ref 54 alto is regarded as a generally good horn. (For whatever reason, the Ref 54 tenor seems nowhere near mimicing a good Mk VI tenor of any era.) If you are looking for an expressive instrument on which to create your own voice, the Borgani Jubilee instruments are wonderful options.

If this horn is indeed fresh from the factory, the shop must be selling it at near cost. Check to see that it comes with a warranty and that the shop is willing and capable to ensure satisfaction with its setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts