Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to the DC area (west of DC)

Where the heck are the Open mics or any place to play?

I got a full time but need some playing venues. Getting pretty bored. Looking for Jazz, not really into Rock or Country. MO Town is fine, if you got a horn section.

Even a good Community Band around here?

I will drive from Winchester to Fall Church. If you know the area I am sure you know that's pretty big area, and I am pretty bored!

Please rid me of my saxophone boredom!:cool: :shock: :cool: :shock: :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
Dc

There is a real good jazz jam that will be starting up in Gaithersburg, Maryland, on Sunday nights. It's getting underway in June. I went last summer and had a lot of fun. It's at a place called Roy's Place. Very friendly. Fake books are cool. All levels of players. I had a blast and plan to go back. The guys who run it is are friends of mine. If you e-mail me at rammingerscott at yahoo dot com, I will forward your e-mail address to them. Then you will get the info directly from them. (That goes for anyone else who is interested, as well.)

Once you hit the Beltway, it would be about a 20 minute drive north on a Sunday evening if traffic isn't too bad.

There are a number of jazz jams downtown. You might want to check out a website called DCjazz.com. It has a list of the places that have live jazz. Follow the links through and you'll see some information on that.

On another note, I noticed on Craig's List that the Alexandria (Virginia) Community Band, which has a jazz and concert band, is looking for players. I turned a friend of mine onto this and he is playing tenor in the big band and the concert band as well, I believe. I think there are number of the bands around the area. I'm almost certain that Fairfax VA has a concert band if you are into that.

Hope that helps. There's stuff around, you just have to sniff around a bit.

Scott

·
Registered
640 Posts
www.twinsjazz.com

they've got two different places in DC (one is on U between 13th and 14th if I remember correctly) and each place has a session once a week. i haven't been in about a year, but it's a great place...usually a really good rhythm section as well. there's another place you can check out in DC called HR-57, which had a jam session going like 3-4 years ago, but i never went back. rhythm section was real sloppy, but a lot can change in 3-4 years. there's also a place in falls church...a thai restaurant that holds a blues jam once a week ... i can't remember the name though...Bangkok Blues maybe? Hope this helps...

if concert band is what you're looking for, fairfax community band (symphony?) is always looking for people to join.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Washington DC is an amazing jazz place!

Have you ever been to the U-Street corridor?? There are dozens of jazz clubs. Then there's HR-57 which has open mic almost each night. You just show up and sit in.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Rad, I visited DC a year ago and took my horn with me. I went to HR-57 and Twins. A nice guy let me sit in on his gig and at HR-57 they had a jam sessions that were killin! Kenny Garrett's keyboard player was there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts