Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of the occasional cramping I would get in my left index finger during a long practice session. I have an open hole with an inline G...
So, I bought one of those handy dandy bopep finger rests.
It helps with keeping me from cramping up but...
It's scratching the heck out of my flute.

I'm wondering if they do this to every flute, or if maybe my old Selmer could be just a bit 'fatter'.
Either way... I'm not 100% satisfied with this product.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. But I'm not pulling it off and on and it doesn't slide around. It just stays there so there's really not opportunity for it to do any scratching.

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That must be nice.
The flute doesn't fit in the case unless I take it off, or reposition it somewhere other than the 'comfort zone'.
And NO, I do not leave my instruments out on pegs/stands. I can't afford to have them repaired if there were to be a mishap.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
That must be nice.
The flute doesn't fit in the case unless I take it off, or reposition it somewhere other than the 'comfort zone'.
And NO, I do not leave my instruments out on pegs/stands. I can't afford to have them repaired if there were to be a mishap.
Ahhh. My beginning flutes had the cases that conformed to the shape of the flute, much like a sax or clarinet case. But the higher end flutes seem to come with cases that just kind of supports the ends of the body so the keys/body aren't really touching anything and there's enough free space for the finger support to remain on the flute.

So, I guess I can't really help with the other.

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I get for buying a cheap asped flute... ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Try an off-set G flute for a week or two to see if that solves the cramping.

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to play an off-set G. I got cramps in my finger with that one too.
I wimped out for a while and plugged the holes on the in-line to see if that would help a little before getting the bopep.
Having the rest on opens up my hand enough to keep my nearly 50 year old hand in a more comfortable position and allows me to play faster passages easier and more smoothly.
I just don't like the stupid thing marring the finish of my till now nearly pristine flute.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Well, you gotta do what works. And remember... The first scratches are the toughest.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Another way to replace a Bopep is to get some of those rubber items that slide on a pencil to help hold it and keep it from rolling. They usually come in a 6-pack at Walmart. Take a razor blade and slice a thin line lengthwise, spread it open a bit and just stick it on the flute. It will hold as the rubber gives it a clamping action. It can be pulled off and reused many times. Once it dies, use another one. If you want to continue with the Bopep, you can put a spot of contact cement inside it and it will keep it from moving. Let me know what case you have and maybe I can find one that will hold the flute with the Bopep on it. A phot would help.

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pencil grippies... Why didn't I think of those. Comfortable and non marring!
The rest doesn't slide around when it's on the flute. It goes on a little hard.
When it's in place there is a gap between the rest and the body of the instrument.
That's kind of what made me think that my flute might be a little larger in diameter.
It's an older Selmer USA. I know... Flute shaped object and I probably shouldn't be that concerned about a few scuffs and scratches.
I can get everything to fit in the case if I twist it so that it's on the bottom. Then it's just a matter of moving it back to the comfort zone the next time I want to play.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Can you feel around inside the Bo Pep for any burrs or rough spots? If so, lightly sand them smooth. Maybe sand all the edges to round them some. For the fit gap, you may try some clear packing take or plastic wrap. Might protect the flute too.

Cases can be modified, but it takes some work.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Being a born skeptic, I had to see for myself. I have a new Yamaha flute and I installed my Bo Pep and slid it back and forth several times. Sure enough there were visible scratches where the plastic piece had traveled. :yikes!: Curse you Bandmommy.

Being an anal retentive perfectionist, I then had to figure out why the plastic Bo Pep scratches flutes, and how to fix the Bo Pep so it did not scratch my flute and then repair the scratches in the finish of my brand new Yamaha flute. :bluewink:

First, to see what exactly scratches the flute, run your fingernail inside the plastic device. You will feel an edge on each of two small circles inside formed by the manufacturing process.

Here is what worked, similar to what MojoBari suggested.

- Wrap a piece of 1200 grit wet or dry sand paper around your finger and aggressively sand the interior back and forth until you no longer detect the edges of the circle with your fingernail.

- Then aggressively sand the inside edge of the piece to feel smooth. I test for smoothness by running the edge against my lip.

- Next polish the plastic inside and on the edges using Wenol or Simichrome or a similar very fine metal polish.

- Then put a dab of Armour-All inside the Bo Pep to "lubricate" the inside surface

- With a soft cloth over your finger, use the same metal polish in a swirling action to remove the scratches on the flute. The ones mentioned are safe to use on silver plating, but don't get too carried away and polish for a half hour or you may go through the plating.

In the end, thanks Bandmommy for that important information. (curse removed :mrgreen:) I recommend these for all my beginning students, and it is important to know that it scratches their flutes. The company certainly needs this feedback.

The alternate (and perhaps the best?) solution to this problem would be to attach a layer of thin synthetic felt to the inside of the device using contact cement, and trim with a razor blade.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I simply cut a square of foam double sided mounting tape, affixed it to the inside of the rest, and voila no scratching, sliding and it stays in place until/unless the piece is deliberately removed.

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Miss Bopep has been agressively sanded, followed by a polishing, and lubed.
Mr. Flute has been buffed in a circular motion to remove the abraisions.
The rest still leaves marks, but not to the degree it did prior to the sanding and polishing.
Until I can apply a 'liner' I've wrapped the damaged area with a couple layers of teflon tape.
It looks a bit odd, but I prefer to wear through the teflon and not the finish of my flute shaped object.

Sorry about making you scratch up your new Yamaha jb. I know how badly it hurt. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I haven't become lazy in my old age (64 in 2 weeks) as I was lazy as a kid and was able to keep it that way.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I used a BoPep for a little while when my hands were cramping from playing a lot. I play less now (not the recommended solution) and do not use it. I guess I never really cared about scratches and have not looked to see how many are there. I do remove finger smudges with a polishing cloth regularly. They bug me more than scratches.

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that some scrapes and booboo's are inevitable.
It just ticked me off when the product caused 'damage' to my previously undamaged instrument.
Finger smudges bug the hell out of me too! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
appropos of nothing, I sold an awesome mint satin silver Trannie Conn alto (mostly a 6M and with NY Neck) to Bopep himself. He lives in Maine and at the time he was about to do a tour of Japan. He is an old Stan Kenton sax player...and was super enjoyable to speak with.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts