Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
28,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after the last one, it was said that we're going to need a bigger boat... And here we are booked again for another booze cruise, but this time aboard The Raven, leaving from the Annapolis City Dock at 7:30pm, Friday October 21st for a two hour cruise with The Naptown Brass Band.

Sky Idiophone Font Event Musician

Tickets: www.naptowncruise.com

·
28,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked out your Soundcloud. Really fine tracks Grumps. I guess that's all you with some fancy programing?
From my Soundcloud page? None of it is programmed. All live musicians either recorded in studio piece by piece (The Harbor Cats, Yanomamo) or live demo together at practice (Dream Grenades). Three different groups all together on that page from the 80's onward, the earliest being Yanomamo. Really appreciate the kind words and thanks for checking it out. 👍

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Here's wishing you another fun gig. Sounds like it's going to be a blast.

On a related note, I saw in another forum, somebody called their brass band a "honk" band. Have you ever heard that? It was news to me.

Another question, do you ever play clarinet in your band? Might cut even more than soprano in the high register at least. I'm trying to decide between clarinet and sop in my own trad jazz band. I kind of prefer the clarinet sound for that style, but my chops are a lot better on sax. Audience doesn't seem to care.

·
28,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We may have honkers, but I haven't yet come across the honk band moniker for brass bands. As for clarinet, I don't play it, but it would never rise above the din of trumpets/trombones/percussion in the way a soprano does. I play a very open Super Session on soprano with a 3 reed and can rise above that din on command, even playing out in the street with no sound system. Still, I favor the odd gigs where we're mic'd up and I don't have to overblow. A clarinet just wouldn't fit with what we do like a soprano can. And having to play so much soprano since the pandemic limited my other combos, I've come to realize just how versatile it can be, taking full advantage of the lower octave as well as above the keyed range.

A soprano is actually rather rare for New Orleans styled brass bands; at least the modern renditions. Sure, the traditional bands of the past had clarinets. Now a days though, generally it's just trumpets and trombones with maybe a tenor as a lead soloist. Sometimes a bari player as well. Though I do play tenor on occasion with our group, it's generally only when the alto player can't make a gig. Otherwise, the two of us work in conjunction as a section and the alto/soprano combination gives us sort of a unique flavor when compared to other brass bands. The neat thing is I'm not always on the high harmony when blending with the alto. We did have a bari player for some time, but he passed last year and we never replaced the part.

One major change lately, is adding another pro on trombone. Now we've got two solid pros for that section and don't have to depend on some of the guys from the past who junked it up. That bit of competition also has our saxophone section on notice, that we're no longer top dogs and we've got to step it up accordingly. We could use one more solid trumpet player though. So if anyone knows a good one in Maryland, have them contact me for a tryout.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
9,178 Posts
And here we are booked again for another booze cruise, but this time aboard The Raven, leaving from the Annapolis City Dock at 7:30pm, Friday October 21st for a two hour cruise with The Naptown Brass Band.

Tickets: www.naptown
I just looked at the ticket link you attached. I hope you’re making an announcement in that picture. Can’t imagine you singing😬

has this canceled ???
Product Rectangle Azure Font Line

·
28,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
9,178 Posts
Not canceled as far as I know: Naptown Brass Band Cruise - Watermark (watermarkjourney.com)

Not sure why that happened to you 'Squealer. But as for the singing... yes, singing... if I have my hat in my hand, it's the third verse of Saints (When Mama calls...).
You sing🙉

Appears the ticket listing has changed. No clue what’s with this ? I clicked on the link in post above. The window has two “book now”
Product Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot

I then clicked on the link in your first post and there’s only one & one date / time. Look at the time stamp in screenshot! happy weird Monday !
Product Azure Font Rectangle Screenshot

·
28,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts