Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
sideC said:
Prayers sent for Boots.
Boots is someone special to our community.

PRAYERS SENT.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
**UPDATE**

Update on the condition of Boots Randolph (80), who was unexpectedly taken to the hospital last Wednesday. Boots suffered a brain hemmorage. The doctors have good hopes that he will survive, but fear that his sax playing days are over. All scheduled performances, including the ones during Elvis Week, have been cancelled. If you would like to contact the family, here's the official email address: [email protected]ource:

Associated Press / Updated: Jul 1, 2007

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a bummer. My good friend and amazing saxophone player is really sick.

Boots Randolph turned 80 a couple of weeks ago and he was playing and sounding as great as ever. He was playing lots of gigs and had many jobs lined up for the rest of year. He has a new great album out and is even scheduled to play the famous Iridium jazz club in New York this October.

Well anyway, on Monday night a week ago, he was admitted to a Nashville Hospital and is in critcal condition. If you are the praying type, please say a prayer for him. Sadly, a week later he is not doing any better.

What a shame, you couldn't meet a nicer person. I am so fortunate to be able to call him my friend. As a young saxophone player he was my idol. In the 80s I got to meet him. In the 90s we became friends, in 2000 he played at my wedding and then last year I got to play on stage with him and our Philharmonic orchestra...What a treat.

Hang in there Boots...we are praying for you!
Chuck Surack

·
Registered
582 Posts
Boots Randolph hospitalized

Yes, Boots Randolph is the sole reason I took up the sax. As a kid I'd listen to him every chance I got and tried to imagine myself as good as he. (Still imagining that too). I have met and talked to him several times over the last 30 years and he is a true gentleman. Whenever I had a question relating to one of his songs or his playing style I'd email him and he would always answer it. I saw him just about a year ago and he was still great. My prayers and best wishes go out to him and his family.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
It's really, really neat to hear from you guys that have met and know him. What a nice guy as well as such a talent with the sax. Excellent all-round role model for aspiring saxophonists. Thanks!

Keep those prayers coming.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,208 Posts
I didn't know he was in the hospital. Boots was very helpful to me as a young player. I never did thank him properly and I just don't like to write or call so we lost contact. Anyway, it's sad to hear because he is such a great person and a really under rated saxophonist. I wish him and his family well.

·
4,147 Posts
911turbo said:
What a bummer. My good friend and amazing saxophone player is really sick.

Boots Randolph turned 80 a couple of weeks ago and he was playing and sounding as great as ever. He was playing lots of gigs and had many jobs lined up for the rest of year. He has a new great album out and is even scheduled to play the famous Iridium jazz club in New York this October.

Well anyway, on Monday night a week ago, he was admitted to a Nashville Hospital and is in critcal condition. If you are the praying type, please say a prayer for him. Sadly, a week later he is not doing any better.

What a shame, you couldn't meet a nicer person. I am so fortunate to be able to call him my friend. As a young saxophone player he was my idol. In the 80s I got to meet him. In the 90s we became friends, in 2000 he played at my wedding and then last year I got to play on stage with him and our Philharmonic orchestra...What a treat.

Hang in there Boots...we are praying for you!
Chuck Surack

I saw you two play on stage together (assuming you are the Chuck Surack who lives in my town who played with Boots and the local Philharmonic). It was pretty cool, the third time I had seen him in concert. I got to meet him at the clinic at IPFW the day before the concert, and it was one of the greatest moments of my life. He was really nice, and signed a piece of Yakety Sax sheet music for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Martinman said:
I saw you two play on stage together (assuming you are the Chuck Surack who lives in my town who played with Boots and the local Philharmonic). It was pretty cool, the third time I had seen him in concert. I got to meet him at the clinic at IPFW the day before the concert, and it was one of the greatest moments of my life. He was really nice, and signed a piece of Yakety Sax sheet music for me.
Yep, that's me...The very first record (back when they were records) was a Boots Randolph record my parents got me for my birthday. I had just started to play saxophone and I wore out my first copy of Yakety Sax....

Fast forward 40 years or so and I am playing on stage with him. Wow, what a thrill and what a fright that night. He could have blown me off the stage if he wanted to, but he was a real gentleman. We basically rehearsed once that afternoon. By the way, what a rare night that was to hear him with a full orchestra.

I have probably seen him live 100 times or so, plus in several recording sessions. I have to tell you, the more you know him and the more you are around him, the more you are just become amazed and dumbfounded at his talent. I don't mean just talent on the saxophone either..he is simply an amazing musician in every sense of the word. And with all that talent, he is still "just Boots"...one heck of a nice guy. He would do anything for you. I saw him play gigs when he wasn't feeling well, right after dental work, etc. The audience would never know...He would always stay and sign autographs and listen to stories about where people had heard him before...or what his music meant to them. He would stay until all the people were gone.

He truly loved to play that horn... make that he "lived" to play. He played a great gospel gig last Sunday morning before he got sick on Monday.

Finally, his whole career he played popular or country music. He did about 50 albums of his own and played on literally thousands of others. In fact, he tells some pretty amazing stories about doing 3 and 4 recording sessions a day back in the 60s and having no idea who he was playing for..Brenda Lee, Elvis, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc...amazing..

Anyway, last year he did his first legit jazz album and I was there for some of his sessions. The man blew most of it in one take and it will knock you out. Do yourself a favor and get his latest CD "A Whole New Ballgame" from http://www.zohomusic.com/ You'll love the picture on the cover, too!

Chuck

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Thanks 911, just went and ordered the CD. You can hear 2 minute clips at the site of each song and I could not believe the blazing speed(at 80 years of age) he plays on 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame'!
It was Boots records played endlessly by my father when I was young that led to my love of the saxophone. My prayers are with he and his family.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Went back & re-read the 6/27 article from the Memphis
paper and it said Randolph's family asked that no info
be released. This and the time passed isn't encouraging.
I wish him, his family those here who know
him the best.

I got an impression of him early as a good guy,
but haven't really listened to him. Needs looking
into, I see.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chuck,

my condolences since you actually knew him. I regret I never got to see him perform live. It's is a huge loss, but on the other hand, I would say, "What a life!"

·
5,444 Posts
That's so painful to hear, so very, very sad. He will be missed deeply but he definitely lives on in his legacy and music he's left behind. Out of sight perhaps, but never forgotten. Rest in peace Boots.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
in the 6 th grade i saw boots live in oklahoma city with floyd cramer and chet atkins. what a concert !! in the eight grade i wrote boots to ask for some of his music. yakety sax, i think ,and he sent me a personal reply, a new book "blow like boots" and signed it all for no charge.. never forgot that. saw him again last year here in florida and when he was signing cd's and meeting the audience I bought one and told him of his inspiration to me both at that concert in 6 th grade and the letter and book he sent so many years ago. glad i did. his spirit will live forever with his music and in the memories of the lives he has personally touched.
my dad had a recording of him he got in thailand called boots with brass that was never released here in the us.was mostly a rock album. had spinning wheel and several other tunes. would love to find a copy now.

Boots, love you man. peace be with you and thank you for the music and inspiration and the love.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts