Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a Boosey & Hawkes Clarinet with s/n 70681. And i was wondering
what year it was made. Hope someone can help me with this.
Have loocked everywere and cant find the answer anywere.:?
tnx in advance:bass:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I think Chris Peryagh has a list. If he doesn't answer this thread you might PM him. It should be fairly old. My Boosey is 121449 and as I remember it's about the early 1960s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I'm not all that clued up on the 5-figure B&H serial numbers - I was relying on B&H to provide that info and I used their serial number search engine (which was the most reliable one) until they pulled it when the B&H group split up.

I've already PM'd okeanos79 saying it's somewhere between 1920 and 1935 - not having the official list is a pain when it comes to putting a date to a number.

The only copy of the official list I did have was lost around 20 years ago, and the only other copy of that I have seen was at Merton Tech - the only leads I can put you onto are Brian Ackerman or Trevor Head of NAMIR - they might have a copy of the official B&H serial number list.

As I generally lean towards the later B&H clarinets, the only numbers that are official that I know of are 220000 which is 1965 and 550000 which is 1983 - so any falling between that can be worked out roughly to which year they were made. So a 121500 is from the '50s, though I can't be any more precise than that.

Blame B&H - they pulled the ONLY correct lists to be found anywhere online.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
Thanks Chris for the confirmation. FWIW the B&H serial number charts were a mess. I got hold of about 3 varieties of woodwind charts from B&H. And some brass charts. and ended up with that one that made the most sense.

I'll check my records to find that "brass" chart to see if by chance it may include saxes. I never knew they made saxes ?

most serial number lists can be had from "internal" people. Like all the Noblet/Leblanc lists from the above link. Call Leblanc/Selmer even years back and they only had available what was in the computers - about 6 yrs worth. But, every so often if you dig enough you can find someone else in the organization that happens to know where a paper list is that is not in the computers. then viola .. you get a list.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
jazzsax07 said:
Chris, any Boosey saxophone serial number charts?
I have a Bari #10051

Is that an actual Boosey (with 'Made In England' on it) or a B&H 400 bari sax?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
220 Posts
"Boosey & Co. London 10050" Followed by "Emil Wulschner sole agent U.S. Indianapolis.Ind."
I found out Wulschner had a music store at that time and a community band.
I believe the mfg. was in the 1880's or early 1890's. well before Boosey merged with Hawkes.
It looks a lot like the first Adolphe Sax horns. 2 octave keys, no low Bb, minimum side and palm keys etc.
I have been searching the web with no luck to find more about the horn.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have pics if you send me your email-I can't find out how to attach here because they are not at a url.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts