Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am compiling a list of books on saxophone playing. Did I miss any works that should be included in your opinion?

Thanks!

1. A Complete Approach to Sound for the Modern Saxophonist - Ben Britton
  2. Art of Saxophone Playing - Larry Teal
  3. Developing a personal saxophone sound - David Liebman
  4. Extended technique for the saxophone - J. Michael Leonard
  5. Hello! Mr. Sax - Jean-Marie Londeix
  6. How to Play Saxophone: Everything You Need to Know to Play the Saxophone - John Robert Brown
  7. Playing the saxophone - Rob Buckland
  8. Practical Hints on Playing the Alto Saxophone - Eugene Rousseau
  9. Practical Hints on Playing the Tenor Saxophone - Eugene Rousseau
  10. Saxologie: Thèse 595 p.+CD. Pour les 7 sax: modes de jeu - Daniel Kientzy
  11. Saxophon-Sound (Grundlagen und Spezialeffekte für alle Saxophone) - Schott music
  12. Saxophone - Paul Harvey
  13. Saxophone Altissimo : High Note Development for the Contemporary Player - Robert Luckey
  14. Saxophone Artistry in Performance and Pedagogy - Eugene Rousseau
  15. Saxophone for dummies
  16. Saxophone High Tones: A Systematic Approach to the Extension of the Range of All the Saxophones: Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Baritone - Eugene Rousseau
  17. Saxophone Secrets: 60 Performance Strategies for the Advanced Saxophonist - Tracy Heavner
  18. Saxophone Sound Effects - Ueli Dorig
  19. Saxophone Technique - Ken Dorn
  20. Techniques of Saxophone Playing - Marcus Weiss/Giorgio Netti
  21. The basis of saxophone tone production: A critical and analytical study - Cecil Leeson
  22. The Cambridge Companion to the Saxophone - Richard Ingham
  23. The Rough Guide to the Saxophone: The Essential Tipbook - Guide Rough
  24. The Saxophone Handbook: A Complete Guide to Tone, Technique, Performance - Douglas Skinner
  25. The Saxophone Reed: The Advanced Art of Adjusting Single Reeds - Ray Reed
  26. Tipboek saxofoon - Hugo Pinksterboer
  27. Top Tones - Sigurd Rascher
  28. Universal method for the saxophone - Paul de Ville
  29. Voicing - Donald Sinta

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'm working out of a book called, "Henry Lindeman Method: A Detailed Analysis of Embouchure, Breathing, Tone Production, Vibrato, Tonguing, Phrasing, Articulation (Illustrated)."

I think it's out of print (maybe the title was too long). My teacher gave me a copy.

Turtle

·
Registered
369 Posts
Er... say WHUT? You lost me there, Steve. I think this book is darn relevant to playing the saxophone, as are vols 2 and 3:

9780793554096_p0_v1_s600.JPG

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think Nefertiti was saying that Viola's books are not sax SPECIFIC. All good books on scales, chords and rhythms would of course be relevant to a saxophonist, as well as any other instrumentalist. Having never used Viola's books myself, I've always wondered if they were written specifically to build technique on the sax. Are they?

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's a pretty good list...does this need to be a sticky?

What about sax-targeted etude books, like the Ferling?
or the Rubank method books?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,042 Posts
I think Nefertiti was saying that Viola's books are not sax SPECIFIC. All good books on scales, chords and rhythms would of course be relevant to a saxophonist, as well as any other instrumentalist. Having never used Viola's books myself, I've always wondered if they were written specifically to build technique on the sax. Are they?
Yes. The books I know on that list are all about playing the saxophone. Tone, technique,vibrato,altissimo, embouchure, tonguing, etc...,.,,,., the Viola books don't give any instruction on any of that. Étude books, scale books and jazz education books would be another category of books. That's what I'm assuming by the first persons post anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Maybe "Saxophone Pedagogy" would be more specific for what the OP is looking for, although for me, "books on saxophone playing" was specific enough.

To the original list, I would add:

Les Gammes Conjointes Et En Intervalles Pour Tous Les Saxophones, Jean-Marie Londeix
Exercises Mecaniques Vol.1, 2 Pour tous les saxophones , Jean-Marie Londeix
Saxophone en jouant vol. 1 & vol. 2, Jean-Marie Londeix

Rubank Elementary Method for Saxophone, N.W. Hovey
Rubank Intermediate Method for Saxophone, Joseph E. Skornicka
Rubank Advanceed Method for Saxophone, Vols 1, 2, H. Voxman and William Gowe

Selected Studies: Saxophone (Rubank Educational Library) by H. Voxman

·
Registered
192 Posts
Two that I have found valuable:

Soprano specific: Steve Lacy's "Findings - My Experience with the Soprano Saxophone" (Paris, Editions Outre Mesure, 1994. ISBN 2-907891-08-1). Awesome how-to guide to the soprano woodshed. Definitely for the experienced player, tho'. Comes with 2 cds of the man himself playing through his own exercises.

Dr Frederick Hemke's "Teacher's Guide to the Saxophone" (Elkhart, The Selmer Company, 1977). Pocket-sized trove of good advice, long out of print, sadly. A google search throws up a couple of probably-copyright-violating pdfs.

S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some welcome additions already :)
Trying to be more specific: I'm looking for text books on saxophone playing so etude books etc. should not be included in this list.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Larry Teal's saxophonist's workbook might be a bit of hybrid, but there's definitely "how to" info included...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Uh, Bergonzi?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts