Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,389 Posts
"Key Jazz Rhythms" - Fred Lipsius

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I'll second the Fred Lipsius book and add the following;

"Syncopation for the modern drummer." by Ted Reed

also, don't forget "The Omnibook." Pick a Bird solo and learn a chorus or two. Play it every day for 3 or 4 months. You'll absorb the phrasing, articulations and rhythmic conception of the man who re-wrote the book on jazz rhythms.

I was given the above advice at a workshop recently, and I gotta tell you, it works! Play a Bird solo as part of your daily warm up. Don't worry about playing it up to tempo, that'll happen over time. Concentrate on the tongueing and articulation. Once you've got the solo down, it only takes a minute or two to play through it each day.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bruce Arnold has a series of rhythm books (www.muse-eek.com). I've been playing from Rhythm Primer, with drum sticks, on a practice pad, and it's fun, too.

But maybe you'd get the best suggestions if you told why you think your rhythm needs to improve. Where are you in the "rhythm needs improvement" continuum?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.