Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, got my hands on a Boiste tenor sax a bit ago. Not much info on them out there. Surely been discussed here. Hand made in France, Selmer hired the guy from what Ive gleaned. Weightwise, it's the same as my SA Series II, a good solid horn. The more I play it, the more I like it, and my SA II gathers dust:( I took some pics..you can find them here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ps43fuVWgxl761cpJSpHag3vnQC9SRlR

Once I find myself playing something decent on it I'll post some links so you can hear it. Special thanks to Jaye*** for getting it up and running and Jaye, if you catch this you can offer up your technical opinion if you wish

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
Yes, several times before

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?155179-Maurice-Boiste-tenor-sax
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?204872-Has-anyone-ever-played-a-Maurice-Boiste

But the best information is in French and you find it here

http://luthiervents.blogspot.com/search?q=boiste

Quick and dirty tranlsation

“ Here is a search on a family of factors originating from Mantes la Jolie, Les Boiste. It started with this very nice contribution observed on a forum and signed Frédérique. "I discover by chance your message ... I am the little niece of Maurice BOISTE ... who started apprentice at DOLNET ... to become the partner of the boss DUBOIS - They separated ... M.DUBOIS aux circa 1930, kept the woods and Mr. BOISTE kept the brass under the name of "Manufacture of musical instruments with a specialty for saxophones" .... Great brand at the time! My great uncle had gold fingers "dixit my father" since he made a fortune when jazz "exploded" in the period before the war, he even made a saxophone in solid silver covered with gold ... ".
Around 1900, Mantes la Jolie is an important center of French instrument making, in the twenties, the industrialists Evette and Schaeffer, Dolnet, Couesnon, Selmer and artisans Marigaux, Beaugnier, Trotte and others are very active and employ a number of luthiers, turners, fitters, polishers, carpenters as well as cooks and gardeners.
It is obvious that this research required several hours of document visions and allowed the identification of the following people. Boiste Louis Auguste was born February 27, 1871 in Mantes, son of Jean Baptiste Martin Boiste employee of the railways; on January 24, 1900, at the birth of Boiste Maurice Albert, his son at 15 rue Boutin Bourjalin, he is twenty-eight years old and is tuilier by profession. Boiste René Maurice was born March 6, 1908 in Mantes la Jolie, in the Journal of Mantes of March 11, 1908, we have the publication of the birth, the 6, of René Maurice Marcel, legitimate son of Boiste Louis Jules, violin maker and Florestine De Paepe, housewife, 15 rue Boutin Bourjalin.
René appears in 1921 domiciled at his father's and mother's, Louis then occupies a position as laborer at the Guerville cement plant. On the census of 1926, domiciled at 4 rue de Lorraine, we find the father and Rene the brother, sharing the same home as their daughter and sister, Yvonne Albertine Boiste, married to Mr. Cauzard; René is luthier at Selmer, Louis is luthier at Dubois. These indications specify several things: the new activity of the father, luthier, as well as his job at M.Dubois; the activity of René, luthier at Selmer, 18 years old; the disappearance of the family home of twenty-one-year-old Maurice and his mother Albertine born De Paepe. By press, April 8, 1925. "Mr. Louis Boiste, Mr. and Mrs. Cauzard, Messrs Maurice and Rene Boiste and the whole family sincerely thank all those who attended the funeral of Mrs. Louis Boiste their late wife, mother and relative ... ".
Between 1921 and 1926, Maurice had to perform his military service, as well as participate in the nascent activity of the house Dubois of Paris, begun in February 1924 which would explain the change of profession of the father to old age, Louis already declared to be luthier in 1909.

The newspaper Mantes indicates July 14, 1926: Dubois, manufacturer of musical instruments in Paris.
Note the activity of Republican political activist Mauritius: May 6, 1925. List of candidates of the labor bloc - peasant Mantes. Boiste Maurice luthier.
It appears on the birth certificate of Mr. Boiste Louis a new marriage dated June 10, 1926, on the sidelines and unreadable, with Ms. Quemener Geneviève 1881-1956. The Journal de Mantes of December 6, 1933 tells us that: "Mrs. widow Boiste, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Cauzard, Mrs. Maurice Boiste, Mr. and Mrs. Rene Boiste and the whole family, thank all the people who attended the funeral of Mr. louis Boiste especially the management and staff of the Dubois and Langevin houses and those who brought flowers and apologize for the involuntary omissions that could have been made in the invitations.
In this newspaper and September 10, 1930. "Athletic Club Mantais Football Association .... de Boiste Rene who will also make his return to the field next Sunday ...".
By press and February 5, 1936. "Mr. Henry Cauzard, Mr. Jacques Cauzard, Mrs. Veuve N. Cauzard, Mr. René and Maurice Boiste and the whole family sincerely thank all those who attended the funeral of Mrs. Henry Cauzard born Yvonne Boiste their regretted mother, wife and relative ... thank you ... the Dubois House of Paris ... ".
Maurice BOISTE was foreman at Raymond DUBOIS in Mantes, he moved to Varenne St Hilaire in the 1930s (1). Source A From gourdon. He married at Saint Maur des Fossés on November 17, 1947 with Blanche Mathilde Pomiro (3). This indicates its presence in La Varenne Saint Hilaire at this time.
The consultation of the birth certificates of Louis, Maurice and Yvonne does not show any deaths inscribed in the margin. Pa

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...Yeah..that's about all I could find. Be nice to get Ser #'s but I think that won't happen. This one is #9240..I think I came across another post somewhere that had a #9267:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
I have had the opportunity in the past 6 months to refurb 2 Boiste Tenors, both owned by other SOTW members. One engraved w/ full Boiste engraving, the other oddly enough stenciled/engraved only "Troubador".

GOOD saxes, sorta Buffet Dynaction-esque. HEAVY horns, built really well. Sleepers, really.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow..That's a pretty one.! Mine got rode hard I think..lol. I sure like the tone tho. Haven't had it tweeked yet...trying to settle in with mouthpiece , reeds, etc. just to make sure it aint me. Sometimes that messes one up at first

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
yes, both have been discussed before in connection with stencilled saxophones

Paul Buescher was (and still is) a shop in Paris and show up ( at some stage in 27 Bvd Beaumarchais where they STILL are) here on SOTW rather often.

https://www.paul-beuscher.com/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=1445104

https://www.paul-beuscher.com

Mostly they are Pierret made but often they can be made by other makers such as German or Bohemian makers (Weltklang too) and we’ve spoken about them many times before.

These are just a couple of references but there are many more.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?127715-Need-help-identifying-a-Paul-Beuscher-Tenor

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?12356-BEUSCHER-with-microtuner!!

Hello from a newbie...

I have a C-Melody branded "Universel", and it puzzles me too.

The full engraving goes:

Universel
SUPERIOR QUALITY
Raymond Dubois
PARIS
BREVETÉ
248 - 840

ANDRIEU FRERES
72 - RUE RODIER
PARIS 9e

Andrieu Frères were a music publisher, apparently a store, too, just like Paul Beuscher. Raymond Dubois seems associated more with "regular" woodwinds, mostly oboe. However, he appears as more of a businessman than a luthier, and could have purchased Universel at a time rather than created it.

The 7xxx serial number is hidden on the body to bottom assembly ring.
The finish is satin silver-plated with some shiny contrasting surfaces on the bell end, the art deco ornament and a few rings, the keys and padcups being polished. The main keys have mother-of-pearl inserts. The inside of the bell is faintly yellowish, doesn't look like a gold wash to me.

A confusing feature is the lower C guard à la Conn, like a Mercedes logo. Also the G# is a nailfile, and there is a microtuner on the S-shaped tenor-like neck.
However, the B/Bb vents are not opposed but both on the left side of the bell. The tone holes are straight, thin walled, not soldered nor rolled.
The bell is 143 mm (5.63 in) across.
There are no archaic trill keys, and there is a front F key, although it's a hefty solid metal lever, shaped more like a palm key.

Finally, an old Henri-Dolnet (Mon Dolnet Lefèvre & Pigis) tenor I spotted recently on eBay does bear some similarities with my C-Melody : http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=84591&item=3767176669&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Adding (just to help confusing the stencils issue) that my Universel's bell keyguard looks identical to a Pierret's of similar vintage...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts