Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari and Flute, if you bend my arm > Clarinet
1,127 Posts
I played with a Classique today and it was great, simple, easy to use, and as good a response and sound as anything else I've tried and Ihave tried more than a few. The sound was was remarked and noted by other players in a sax ensemble I play with. I usually use a Ricco H..

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll get one of these. I only found one other review and it was positive except that he got the clarinet cap even though it was marked saxophone. Bois would not respond to his email.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the Bois Classique for $21 at musiciansfriend. They have free shipping. I will report back how it is when I get it next week.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the Bois. It works, sounds good. It's slightly large for my mouthpiece. That is the problem with the ring design, it can't be adjusted.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I picked up a classique today, after a buddy of mine played it on alto at a session at my studio last night. I really like what it does to my tenor V16 HR 'piece, and it makes my "paint peeler" (Jumbo Java T75) positively shriek!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I'm the guy who wrote the review of the Bois ligature that Differencetone referred to in one of his posts earlier. The company eventually did respond to my e-mail and was nice enough to send me two replacement caps for free. One of the caps they sent was the very same clarinet cap that came with the ligature when I first bought it, and the other is a saxophone cap that actually fits my soprano mouthpiece.

The ligature itself fits very well on my Metalite & Graftonite mouthpieces and doesn't go down too far. I noticed recently though that the fit of the ligature greatly depends on the thickness of the reed. I use Rico Plasticovers on all my instruments and found one that was a little thicker than some others, causing me to have to use more force when putting the ligature on (I was almost wondering if I would even be able to use that particular reed with that lig). Also, while the ligature is designed for a rubber soprano sax mouthpiece, it also fits nicely on my metal tenor Berg Larsen.

I also ordered a Bois ligature for my clarinet and, just like with Differencetone, it also seems a little big for the mouthpiece, making the ligature hold the reed closer to the bottom end than I would like. Because of this, tones I produce on the instrument don't come out as cleanly, especially in the lower register. When I apply a little pressure with my thumb on the reed (closer to the middle), the tones I get are more what I would expect. Likewise, I don't have any problem when I use a Rovner or standard metal ligature. I tried the clarinet ligature on my alto sax Graftonite mouthpiece and it fits perfectly. I was hoping it would also fit my metal tenor Otto Link, but it's a little big.

Overall, I like the ligature but will only use it on my saxes. I will use a Rovner or Vandoren M/O ligature on clarinet.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I also found the Bois Classique to work suprisingly well, but eventually ended up using my Rovners most of the time. The couple of things I didn't like about the Bois pertained to it's ergonomics, not the sound.

1) Can't really adjust the reed position off the neck, as the lig will slip around when we put the mouthpiece onto the neck. Same thing usually happens when we try to tune the mouthpiece on the neck. I prefer to make my reed adjustments on the mouthpiece before placing on the neck.

2) Can't adjust the position of the lig on the mouthpiece. The position will purely be a function of the diameter of your mouthpiece relative to the size of the Bois ligature. On the right mouthpiece, this is not too much of an issue, but often it may be higher or lower than ideal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I purchased a Bois Excellente for use on my HR tenor piece. I loved it for about two months and then I started to experience slippage problems. This past week it slipped on a gig and pushed the reed over the tip leaving me to fight it until the end of the tune when I could re-adjust. When I got home, I put it in it's original packaging and shelved it. Perhaps it is the shape of the mouthpiece, but I suspect a little wear on the inside gasket was all it took to develop problems. I won't be using it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts