Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a shout-out for one of the UK's big hitters - Bobby Wellins.
He's got a new album out - "Time Gentlemen, Please" and there are some preview snippets on:

http://triorecords.co.uk/Bobby_Wellins_Time_Gentlemen_Please.html

I've had the very great pleasure of working for and chatting to Bobby over the years, and for me this album displays all the warmth, maturity and intelligence of the man...as well as more than a nod to the glint he still has in his eye.

Regards,

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had the privilege of being on a summer school with Bobby as my sax tutor, I had just started playing and it was an inspirational experience to be able to listen to him close up every day. He was over here recently and playing beautifully even though he was a bit indisposed.
One of the all-time greats by any standard

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Bobby Wellins aka "The Chemist" for reasons we wont go into! World class for all that, the last of Tubby and Dick Morrisey's generation--well almost.
These guys were/are the equal of the Stateside players.
Will look out for this CD, Bobby has a beautiful sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,075 Posts
Thanks for that Steve - I've always loved BW's playing and went straight to the website and bought it. The samples sounded great.

Saw BW playing in the mid 80s, but I think he's playing better now with a really individual sound and approach. His old bass player, Adrian Kendon, is leading our big band at the moment.

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
Great player. Has anyone heard his Billie Holliday tribute "The Satin Album"?
I have it. I probably wouldn't have bought it because the concept seemed a little cheesy, but my wife got it for me and I'm very glad she did. A really beautiful album: I suspect very few players would have the depth, sensitivity and sheer good taste to pull it off, but Bobby Wellins certainly does.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey, great! A few months ago I tried to order some of his stuff through the Trio website and it wasn't working (at least, for me), but it works just fine now. My copy is on the way! I love this guy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Just a shout-out for one of the UK's big hitters - Bobby Wellins.
He's got a new album out - "Time Gentlemen, Please" and there are some preview snippets on:

http://triorecords.co.uk/Bobby_Wellins_Time_Gentlemen_Please.html

I've had the very great pleasure of working for and chatting to Bobby over the years, and for me this album displays all the warmth, maturity and intelligence of the man...as well as more than a nod to the glint he still has in his eye.

Regards,
Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts