Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old dukoff tennor mouth piece. I love it. I am asking if anybody knows what the round brass tube insert on the side of it? It has a round brass fitting on the side with a brass button that pops into it. I think something could be attached to it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of microphone?

saxjazz42 said:
Sounds like a microphone pickup. Got any photos?
Do you have an idea of how old it is? How could a mike pick up sound inside a mouthpiece. Well anyways I do not have a digital camera. I am planning to have the insert removed and welded shut. Thanks for the reply!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Actually the Selmer Varitone saxes came with the pickup for the mic in the neck but they sold Selmer Paris mouthpieces with the fitting for the mic drilled in the top of the mouthpiece. I assume a pickup could be used this way on any mouthpiece.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've seen them in otto links, so i assume they could be put in anything. The varitone was in use on selmers in the 60's, and didn't have a particularly long run, so your mpc is probably somewhere in the mid 60's-70's. my understanding is that the research team with varitone found that the best place to put the pickup was on the neck, however players that didn't want to permanantly alter a neck would have them installed on the mouthpiece, since mouthpieces are much easier to replace and (for the most part) much less expensive than a neck or entire horn.

probably the best way to fix it is to get it plugged- that's how i hade one removed on my mark vi neck. the repairman pressure fit a slightly tapered brass plug and added a little glue to seal it. it's been fine like that for 4-5 years now. check out this too:

http://www.jgerber.com/serviced/link_hole/index.htm

i assume that hole is from a pickup, it looks like the right size and was certainly made on purpose.

hope that helps- mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts