Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bob Sheppard is easily one of my favorite players, especially on soprano. This transcription is from his solo on the track "Rainy Day in Vancouver", from the Chris Walden album "Home of My Heart". As the title may imply, it's a great track to listen to in inclement weather! :TGNCHK:

I apologize in advance for measures 26-29; it gets rather hectic with the rhythms there, and my transcription software wouldn't let me hear that line as clearly as I would've liked. Therefore, I put the indiscernable parts in slash notation.

Listening to the recording is the big part of getting the feel of this solo down; I didn't put in any dynamics in, and only slurred the essential parts. Otherwise, listen to the original to get the phrasing and other nuances.

(Side note: Chris Walden is a fantastic composer and arranger as well; he did a great album ["Ticino"] with Michael Brecker and Ernie Watts about 15 years ago. "Home of My Heart" is also a great album; check out his Film Noir suite!)

Hope you all enjoy it!

View attachment 25708

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Thanks a lot. I agree, Bob's sound is very impressive on the soprano. For those who haven't listened yet, please check out his latest CD, "In the Now". Great music!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I've just bought what I thought was his latest album called "Close Your Eyes". Really good album, great Tenor and Sop sound.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I've just bought what I thought was his latest album called "Close Your Eyes". Really good album, great Tenor and Sop sound.
Cool, I didn't know he had a new album. I have to get it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts