Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello sax-on-the-webbers...

I'm coming to the UK the end of this month for a tour with a great band (see poster below).

I had hoped to do a clinic in London while there (I will be doing one in Barcelona) but the UK distributor for P. Mauriat doesn't feel there's enough time to promote it.

Thought I'd pop on here and see if anyone would be interested. Maybe something at http://www.sax.co.uk ??

If enough people were interested I'm sure something could be arranged.

Not sure what the best approach is for this but I guess it only matters if people see this. I've just come back from trips/tours so many times only to get emails from the places I just visited saying "when will you come [here] and do a master class?" so I'm trying to prevent that.

Here's the cities we'll visit:

Here's the flyer for the Barcelona clinic which is March 24th at 11:00:

I have no idea if anyone will ever see this, but hey, worth a shot!

Cheers,
Bob
http://bobreynoldsmusic.com

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi Bob, usually the masterclasses held at sax.co.uk are very well attended. I would contact Phil Straker at sax.co.uk (he owns sax.co.uk) and see whether he feels there is enough time to get organised for it - I've just sent over the link for this thread to them. You might find they prefer the masterclass at their Crowborough office as parking is less of an issue, people coming into London for a masterclass can be prohibitively expensive. Also you could post this on Cafe Saxophone as that has a large amateur UK audience. I unfortunately can't be there (gig or masterclass) as going to France on 31st for sax workshop :-( All the best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,124 Posts
I see you are playing at Farncombe, which is the Cavern jazz club run by Marianne Windham. That's a great little venue and in walking distance from the railway station on the line out of London (probably about one hour from central London).

Marianne has been putting on improvisation workshops before some of the gigs - I've been to the last three. She might be interested in putting on a masterclass or workshop - PM me if you would like her contact details.

Rhys

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hi Bob, TW Howarth in Chiltern Street have put on classes in the past (Ernie Watts, Jody Espina, and others). It's a small room but I'm sure you would get an appreciative audience. The head of the sax department is Stuart James and he post on SOTW occasionally as twhowarth, you could send him a pm or email him at [email protected]
Hope it works out.
Dave

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I got a nice email from Jim Cheek @ sax.co.uk this morning. I guess there's not enough time to promote it. Shame cause I let the Mauriat folks know about this in January but, I guess not enough lead time. Oh well. I will just have to sight-see instead. ;) Dave: got your message, thanks. I will reach out to TW.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
It might be worth contacting some of the London music colleges. Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Trinity College of Music and The Royal Academy of Music often host workshops by visiting musicians.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Bob Reynolds and Janek Gwizdala - gig in South London, Saturday night 31/03/2012

I had the great pleasure of hearing Bob Reynolds and Janek Gwizdala with UK players Gary Husband (who I hadn't seen for 25 years odd!) and Louie Palmer on Saturday in South London, it was terrific! Crowd of about 50/60 in a basement space with a small PA system. The band was excellent and the audience was very enthusiastic. They played a selection of numbers from both Bob and Janek's solo albums plus a tune that Janek wrote for Mike Stern. I was looking forward to hearing them play numbers like 'Can't Wait for Perfect' and 'Nine Lives' - which of course they did.

It was a real thrill to hear Bob play live. I was introduced to his playing last year by a friend of mine who is a fan of John Mayer, and I have to say that I really dig Bob's approach. He has stunning control and intonation and a beautiful sound, but most of all he has a focus and an economy during improvisation that is breath taking. If you know his music, you know what I mean; if you don't, then check him out at http://bobreynoldsmusic.com. Bob was really friendly and relaxed.

Janek is an exceptional bass player and live wire on stage. He and Bob have an obvious rapport and knowledge of each other's music that is very satisfying to watch. I have to admit I'm a big fan of good electric bass playing and hearing Janek was a singular treat. As happy with grooving along playing repeated 8ths as virtuoso soloing he seems to be in touch with everybody and everything in the room as he plays.

Drummers sometimes get forgotten with such stellar frontmen but Louie was so in the pocket I could actually just have sat and listened to him play time all night, his backbeat is just so, he was perfect for the music.

Gary Husband on keys added an extraordinary dimension to the band, playing a simple sampling piano/synth he added an impressionistic backdrop to the grooves and a layer of extended harmony that was very exciting to hear; he was given the freedom of to build solos that were extraordinarily inventive and full of wild humour and invention.

Bob was a pleasure to meet and Patrick's Bar in Crystal Palace serves good Guinness! At £10.00 for entry that was real night to remember and kudos to the promoter Pete Feenstra for putting the show on. I really hope to see Bob and Janek back in London again soon, they deserve far bigger exposure. But I will treasure the experience of seeing them live in Saarf LNDN.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts