Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Bob indeed plays an old Brilhart with a banded shank. I think it's a 3* or 4*, though with a Brilhart, the tip opening often doesn't mean too much. He's had that piece for years.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one of Mover's early records - the one with Claudio Roditi, and the photo shows him playing a metal MP. don't know what that one is either.
ATJ

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sebastian ... no idea. I suppose that Kirk still has it, why?

And actually, I had a brain fart ... Mover actually plays one of the first ARB pieces. The shank is marked Great Neck Original and all that, but it was faced by Beechler and is an ARB. I remember now because I had a larger one that I offered to Bob which he didn't want (too big). To clarify ... Beechler bought a bunch of Brilhart blanks left over (after his death?) and faced them. The earliest ones were stamped and marked like a Brilhart (and really are a Brilhart in all the important ways) except for the ARB name on the barrel.

Mover's ARB is the white material the Tonalins were made from, and is banded at the shank to repair a crack.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know there were white ones with the "A" style chamber, marked Great Neck Original on the shank ... and there were black ones with a largeish size chamber, and without the "A" shaped sidewalls. There too were marked Great Neck Original, but mine has this info marked on, rather than stamped in flowing script like the white ones, and like the Brilhart of the same era.

The two that I have had were large ... 7* was the marking on both, and they were somewhere around .90. (one white, one black).

They were / are good players, and substantially cheaper than a branded Brilhart of the same vintage.

I think that the current ARB models are not the same as these vintage Brilhart blanks, but I can't swear to it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Reality check :)

Fellas- Just for sanity sake....lets face the reality of Bob Mover.

A mouthpiece is a tool for most guys, a helpful tool but..........:)

I've known Bob over 30 plus years and know in his case it _IS_the indian and not the arrow.

Why not- try to approach the music as Bob does? Bob knows THE WORDS to probally almost every standard tune ever!! Bob knows the changes and where in the changes the harmony is.
Likewise- Bob is a walking textbook of jazz history. I remember after a session in 1970, in Boston Bob helped me understand the great tenor player Nicky Hill better by just talking about the great stuff he did on Ira
Sullivans " Nickys Tune" ( on Delmark records) and the energy Bob had for the music.

The mouthpiece Bob had on that date w/ Claudio was a Guy Hawkins. Probally bought at ART SHELL on 48th st in NYC. At that time, there was a few guys using those " newer " Guy Hawkins pieces. Larry Schneider, Bob, Frank Vicari or various guys Art Pincus turned on to them at his shop Art Shell. (Art is a fantastic guy- and one great repair guy- a beautiful cat )
Thats the metal mouthpiece,:D

But in any case- MOVER IS MOVER.
One of the most personal alto players in the music now then or ever.
What he plays.......has CONTENT AND MELODIC CHARACTER as well as a true story to tell within the music. He's not just pushing buttons!

I have to say without contradiction that you'll hear from Bob Mover some ideas and lines and personal approaches that are seldom heard elsewhere. He always magically, ups the ante when ever he plays.Your in the hands of a master with Mover. No room for gainsaying. Nor second-guessing. A master!

In this case, Bob Mover , after slogging away in the trenches , these many years, is a player of great significance. More people should know his work- and he should be on a major label with proper press to support an artist of this level.

Sorry for the long winded stuff but Bob Mover is a friend for decades and a ARTIST absolutely not to be missed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Tim

All this is true. Still no harm in the original poster wondering what he plays on, or in me letting him know. I too was tempted to reply "who cares, it won't make you sound like Bob", but I figured that was beside the point. Haven't you ever wondered what someone played on? I surely have ... (and I know better). ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
altoblues said:
Tim

All this is true, I know Bob kind of well. Still no harm in the original poster wondering what he plays on, or in me letting him know. I too was tempted to reply "who cares, it won't make you sound like Bob", but I figured that was beside the point. Haven't you ever wondered what someone played on? I surely have ... (and I know better). ;)

altoblues- Well my comment IS aimed at checkin out THE MUSIC in Bobs way- more so his vision/experience.
Inspiration etc....You know:cool:

Basically just that/ no big thing really. :)

I hear ya, Bob is a special one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tim Price said:
Fellas- Just for sanity sake....lets face the reality of Bob Mover.

A mouthpiece is a tool for most guys, a helpful tool but..........:)

I've known Bob over 30 plus years and know in his case it _IS_the indian and not the arrow.

Why not- try to approach the music as Bob does? Bob knows THE WORDS to probally almost every standard tune ever!! Bob knows the changes and where in the changes the harmony is.
Likewise- Bob is a walking textbook of jazz history. I remember after a session in 1970, in Boston Bob helped me understand the great tenor player Nicky Hill better by just talking about the great stuff he did on Ira
Sullivans " Nickys Tune" ( on Delmark records) and the energy Bob had for the music.

The mouthpiece Bob had on that date w/ Claudio was a Guy Hawkins. Probally bought at ART SHELL on 48th st in NYC. At that time, there was a few guys using those " newer " Guy Hawkins pieces. Larry Schneider, Bob, Frank Vicari or various guys Art Pincus turned on to them at his shop Art Shell. (Art is a fantastic guy- and one great repair guy- a beautiful cat )
Thats the metal mouthpiece,:D

But in any case- MOVER IS MOVER.
One of the most personal alto players in the music now then or ever.
What he plays.......has CONTENT AND MELODIC CHARACTER as well as a true story to tell within the music. He's not just pushing buttons!

I have to say without contradiction that you'll hear from Bob Mover some ideas and lines and personal approaches that are seldom heard elsewhere. He always magically, ups the ante when ever he plays.Your in the hands of a master with Mover. No room for gainsaying. Nor second-guessing. A master!

In this case, Bob Mover , after slogging away in the trenches , these many years, is a player of great significance. More people should know his work- and he should be on a major label with proper press to support an artist of this level.

Sorry for the long winded stuff but Bob Mover is a friend for decades and a ARTIST absolutely not to be missed..
Bob Mover's rendition of "We'll Be Together Again" on that early Vanguard record is the absolute pinnacle! (This deserves TWO exclamation points: !!) I've loved his playing from the first day I heard him. He not only knows his horn, the music, the lyrics, but he understands the human heart. His playing on "We'll be . . ." for example, has a 'sob' in it that only Italian operatic tenors ever achieved. And it rends your heart as well. Never heard that before in a jazz instrumentalist.
Mover is the most under-rated player in my lifetime. Wish I knew him.
P.S. Is Art Shell still around? I bought lots of stuff from him over the years.
ATJ

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
altoblues said:
Tim

All this is true, I know Bob kind of well. Still no harm in the original poster wondering what he plays on, or in me letting him know. I too was tempted to reply "who cares, it won't make you sound like Bob", but I figured that was beside the point. Haven't you ever wondered what someone played on? I surely have ... (and I know better). ;)
For the sake of civility, which these forums often lack, I'm glad you decided against saying "who cares".
The reason for my question was simply that I have early Bob Mover recordings and he sounded so great that I wondered why he switched (which he may have done more than once as far as I know)
And FYI, I'm very happy with my Meyers MP and have been playing it for 20 years+. And I strive always to sound like myself, not Bob Mover.
( And why do posters have to explain their motives, for Heaven's sake?)
ATJ

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yup, that's what I figured, and that's why I replied.

I don't really get it ... most of us know that it's not the equipment that matters, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't / can't be curious about what certian players use. I find it funny that in "getting to know you" conversations between horn players of any calibre (even famous ones) it eventually swings around to "so, what mouthpiece you use?". It's curiousity, it's civility, it's trade talk and you can actually learn a little something about someone by what they play (but that would be a whole other thread, so let's not think on that too deeply right now).

Despite all of this, which most of us know and have experienced, there seems to be a knee jerk reaction on this board more often than not (TIM - NOT directed at you ... your niche is much wider on these boards, and more productive) to jump on people who want to know what so-and-so plays.

For those that really think getting a certain mouthpiece will help them sound like X player, no amount of talk will get through. For the rest of us, there is no harm in knowing.

... now let's all be friends, OK? :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
Oh yeah --- yes, Bob has switched up his alto mouthpieces some over the years (haven't we all). I don't know anything about metal pieces that he may have played on, but at some point he was playing a Meyer with a long facing ... not sure if he ever recorded on it, sketchy on when he stopped playing it. I know he's been on the white ARB for a while.

BTW - Bob has a new record coming out soon which should be great!

Have you all heard him on tenor? Amazing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts