Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen Mover mentioned much on this site and I was just listening to the amazing Lee Konitz recording with Bob called Affinity. If you don't have it, you need to get it. It really is that good.

Bob is just a great player who seems like he can do anything on the horn. Plus he plays just about every tune known to man in any key. An amazing player who deserves some press.

·
Registered
717 Posts
There was a Bob Mover thread here somewhere once. I'm an unabashed Bob Mover fan, and not just because he subbed in my band for Sal Spicola a few times. One time we played Thad's Cherry Juice. Bob played the soprano lead and kicked ***. Afterward he apologized to me for having missed a note in the soli, as if I could have heard what with being up to my eyeballs in the bari part.

Bob also plays what I think of as hard tunes very well. He tore my heart out one night on 'The Cup Bearers' at the old Michael's in Boston in front of about 8 people.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Great player. His CDs are probably not easy to find I have two of them I downloaded from emusic.com

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Amazing to me that the next date on his schedule is June 20th. I live in the jazz wasteland and work more than that!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bob Mover is one of the best Bop saxophonists around today. His harmonic knowledge is immense and his sound is huge (if not a bit squirley like late Rollins). Bob is my favorite modern-day saxophone player. EVERYBODY can learn something from Bob Mover....

·
Banned
280 Posts
Always amazes me to discover someone this great that I'd never heard of before.

I love the Brecker quote on his website, about his recently becoming a "real" tenor player. Look, Geppetto!

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts