Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I'm a huge Bob Berg fan, but was not at all fond of his tone with the Francois Louis mouthpiece he used.IMO he was never properly connected to his sound on that thing. His brighter more aggressive sound on earlier records with Otto Links was always more appealing to me.

Here, it looks like he has perhaps a Miami Dukoff? His tone sounds brighter and buzzier, he sounds and feels more agile to me, and sounds incredibly more connected to his sound. I REALLY love how he sounds on it. A lot better than the FL for me. Too bad he didn't stick with whatever this is. Its way better.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Never thought I'd say this, but his sound is (was) MUCH more "meaty" on that Dukoff. Especially his middle D and overall mid-range of the horn. There was some kind of shallowness with his sound in those areas when he played the FL. Nice vid!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,377 Posts
Whatever piece he used on Riddles CD his tone was/is the best I"ve ever heard. Kind of brecker with more overtones K

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,401 Posts
Definitely a Dukoff Super Power Chamber and he is rocking it.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I liked his sound on the early stuff with Horace Silver.
I’ve always heard he played an EB Link 6 back then.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I liked his sound on the early stuff with Horace Silver.
I’ve always heard he played an EB Link 6 back then.
I agree. Plus, the stuff with Cedar Walton..... I believe he played both HR and metal back then. Definitely sounded more "compact" and I'd agree it was probably in the 6 range. Probably with a baffle too.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Bob Berg is playing an LD Dukoff in the youtube clip. It's what he played before he changed to the Francois Louis piece. I bought and played one for a couple of years back in the mid 80s, it was a great piece with no baffle to speak of, certainly not like the more common D model. With Cedar Walton he played a Meyer hard rubber, I believe a 5M, after that was stolen he played a hard rubber Link. He also played a metal Link around this time but I'm not sure of the exact sequence.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I agree. Plus, the stuff with Cedar Walton..... I believe he played both HR and metal back then. Definitely sounded more "compact" and I'd agree it was probably in the 6 range. Probably with a baffle too.
I doubt it had any added baffle. That’s the reason I like the EBs in that tip opening. They have plenty of baffle and a higher chamber.
I have an EB Tone Edge and EB STM, both 6s and as bright as anything I’ve played and still have an actual sound that’s pleasant.
The Dukoff LDs play well. I had one but my EB plays better and just as bright.
Here’s a little clip of an LD7 I had. It seemed a little more “plain” than my Link.
https://youtu.be/w7wjmJsZivA

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I doubt it had any added baffle. That’s the reason I like the EBs in that tip opening. They have plenty of baffle and a higher chamber.
I have an EB Tone Edge and EB STM, both 6s and as bright as anything I’ve played and still have an actual sound that’s pleasant.
The Dukoff LDs play well. I had one but my EB plays better and just as bright.
Here’s a little clip of an LD7 I had. It seemed a little more “plain” than my Link.
https://youtu.be/w7wjmJsZivA
That's nice, Tim! Not knowing much about the 70's Dukoff's, the LD's are fairly rare? LD meaning large chamber I'd assume? Gotta say that if I just heard a recording of that (not the video), I'd never guessed that was a 70's Dukoff!
I love my Sakshama version of the Stubby from the 40's. Oh.....regarding Berg having a baffle in his metal Link.... I assume you're familiar with the Cedar Walton recordings "First Set", "Second Set" and "Third Set" (on Steeplechase I believe)? Bob's sound is SO bright on those recordings. Not saying it's bad or obnoxious, but just really bright which makes me think there was a baffle in there. Then again, it could've been the way he was mic'd and/or eq'd too.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
That's nice, Tim! Not knowing much about the 70's Dukoff's, the LD's are fairly rare? LD meaning large chamber I'd assume? Gotta say that if I just heard a recording of that (not the video), I'd never guessed that was a 70's Dukoff!
I love my Sakshama version of the Stubby from the 40's. Oh.....regarding Berg having a baffle in his metal Link.... I assume you're familiar with the Cedar Walton recordings "First Set", "Second Set" and "Third Set" (on Steeplechase I believe)? Bob's sound is SO bright on those recordings. Not saying it's bad or obnoxious, but just really bright which makes me think there was a baffle in there. Then again, it could've been the way he was mic'd and/or eq'd too.
Somebody told me once that they asked BB what his setup was on those sessions and he said he was playing a Dukoff Stubby with a STM ligature back then.

Bob did a clinic at my school in the late 90’s and he did an A-B between his metal FL piece and an old rubber Otto Link 7 (not sure exactly what vintage because nobody seemed to use terms like “Early Babbitt” back then). It didn’t have any added baffle but played just as bright as the FL piece.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Somebody told me once that they asked BB what his setup was on those sessions and he said he was playing a Dukoff Stubby with a STM ligature back then.

Bob did a clinic at my school in the late 90’s and he did an A-B between his metal FL piece and an old rubber Otto Link 7 (not sure exactly what vintage because nobody seemed to use terms like “Early Babbitt” back then). It didn’t have any added baffle but played just as bright as the FL piece.
Ooh........good stuff, Dave! I guess it sure could've been a Stubby. I'm just going by the (pretty bad/grainy) picture on the album covers. Yes, I have the albums.....lol It's definitely a gold metal 'piece with yes, what looks like it could be a STM lig. Can't see the bite plate, which would've been a huge clue, due to the Dukoff's of that period having white ones. Loved Bob's playing from that time frame for sure. Then there's the Berg release called "Steppin", which I believe was done in '82 and looks to me like he's playing a HR Link on the album/cd cover photo. His sound and style was great during that period and to me it just seems that when he switched to the FL and went more "pop", his sound changed.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
The photo on the cover of Steppin' is actually from a Cedar Walton gig, it's on Youtube, same shirt and pants and everything! You can't go off pictures on album covers because it's usually not a picture of the actual gig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bl-YibujuQ&t=1468s
Ahh....makes sense. Yeah, I knew I was assuming a lot by going with the pic of an album/cd cover! By the way, thanks VERY much for posting that vid. link! I'd never seen that one before. Man, Berg sounds SO nice....

Miami Florida had several chambers so it doesn't have to be the D.
Sakshama, what does LD stand for?
Hope all's well!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Smokin' on whatever he is playing at the moment. Still sad about his death.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had a teacher about nine years ago that gave me a recording from a masterclass with Bob Berg that he had recorded with a small tape recorder and than recorded it into the computer years later. I don't know which year it was recorded, at least before he started playing the FL. I'm pretty Bob lived in Sweden when it was recorded, but I don't know wich year he lived in sweden so it doesnt help :p.

He plays the Dukoff there and when the "what mouthpiece do you play" question comes up he talks about it. I can't remember if he said that the link he had before got stolen or destroyed but he goes on and says that he had almost no money and needed a mouthpiece and that dukoff was the cheapest piece he could find.
And then he talks about how much he hated it but decided to give it two weeks. After two weeks he sounded as himself and liked the piece a lot and now he couldn't find something that sounded better (he also said that he had been playing it for years).

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a teacher about nine years ago that gave me a recording from a masterclass with Bob Berg that he had recorded with a small tape recorder and than recorded it into the computer years later. I don't know which year it was recorded, at least before he started playing the FL. I'm pretty Bob lived in Sweden when it was recorded, but I don't know wich year he lived in sweden so it doesnt help :p.

He plays the Dukoff there and when the "what mouthpiece do you play" question comes up he talks about it. I can't remember if he said that the link he had before got stolen or destroyed but he goes on and says that he had almost no money and needed a mouthpiece and that dukoff was the cheapest piece he could find.
And then he talks about how much he hated it but decided to give it two weeks. After two weeks he sounded as himself and liked the piece a lot and now he couldn't find something that sounded better (he also said that he had been playing it for years).
Bob Berg was so broke he had to "find the cheapest piece he could find?" Thats a weird story man. And when I "hate" a mouthpiece, it sure as heck don't give it two weeks, I give it maybe 5 minutes, maybe try a different reed/lig to see if that's the issue. I can tell pretty quickly if its something i'm interested in. The reality is I have a drawer full of incredibly great mouthpieces and I only play a couple of them for the past few years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts