Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I am thinking on going back to one on one lessons after too many years of not doing that.
Anyone can recommend an engaging teacher in LA, preferably West Side or Leimert Park areas.

If you have a good recommendation please PM me,
thanks!

Pablop

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,073 Posts
Hi Pablop! I believe Tom Luer is still in the LA area and he's a fantastic player. Jazz, rock, funk, fusion, he sounds beautiful on everything and he's an experienced teacher. Worth checking out! We were in school together for a little bit and he always blew me away, very nice guy too.

http://tomluer.com/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
There have to be many many great teachers in your area. But if you cant' find what you want go on line and do Skype. I wanted a good alto teacher who had recorded multiple CDs and had his own style (at times I don't like it but I respect that he did it) so I found a great guy. I just wanted one year to get my first CD done but now its 4 and we still have lots to work on. He's only 45 a lesson and I have zero travel time So good luck, many great tenor Skype guys. But by all means face to face is best K

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree with keith, Skype lessons are very convenient, but face to face is better. For Skype lesson, Steve Neff is amazing, I have been studying with him and he is not just a great teacher but also a very knowledgeable person on many different aspect of music. He is also very funny and down to earth person. In La, Katisse buckingham is one of the best players and I believe he teaches to a number of student. He lives down the corner from you. Good luck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi BlueHymn,
thanks for reminding me of Katisse, my sax tech (Jay Work) had recommended him a while back and I lost the contact, close to me is important in this town.
I'll take in person lessons over Skype.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Here are some serious, educated and fantastic LA teachers ; Look them up on Facebook

TIMOKA JARVIS....Danny Jankow....Ashley Jarmack....Kim Richmond....Tim Lin....Michael Ghega...Tom Luer...Kristin Edkins.

Easy to find- they will get you going. HTH.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the added recos Tim,
I started one on ones with Katisse, going back to basics and working the way up.

Feels good to play again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
(deleted)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts