Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one experience with a Runyon mpc (tenor) was amazing. Now that I'm doubling on soprano, can anyone recommend what mpc might work for an amateur who gigs every now and then (blues/rock).

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
If you are looking for Runyon pieces check out my site in my sig. I give a description of each piece and what I think they excel at.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
Try a Runyon Custom with spoiler. It certainly can be played to fit many moods. It will go soft and pretty and then jump up loud to wake people up. It does the best job with the palm key notes of any I have tried. I play my 6 with a Rovner Dark mpc (1-RXS) and a 2.0 ZZ reed. It is very expressive. My Selmer Supersession F with also the 2.0 ZZ and a Rovner Dark lig is not far from the Runyon but a bit more mellow.

It's not the piece as much as what you do with it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Leave the soprano at home and take your tenor! Sorry, couldn't resist. I actually did hear a guy play soprano on a blues gig once (he doubled with it, while playing tenor mostly) and he sounded surprisingly good playing it in that genre. I guess I haven't helped answer your question, though. I'd go for something that gives you the fullest possible sound on soprano. If you play into a mic, volume shouldn't be much of an issue, since the soprano will cut right through.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JL said:
Leave the soprano at home and take your tenor!
LOL...our harp players says the same thing. But I am persistent (and my wife really likes the sop. This trumps all. ;) )

I just use the soprano for a few numbers, namely King Bee. It can create a very convincing buzzing sound particularly if playing through a PA with some effects dialed in. Also, Everyday I have the Blues can be a fun number.

Thanks for all the tips. I think you've all given me some direction in my search. :salute:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts