Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi people
i would like to know some blues songs with sax riffs of course to work on because these days i'm making a repertoire for my practice sessions . so anyone ? [rolleyes]

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'd go for a playalong or two with a couple of blues classics.

And raiding youtube wont hurt on your search either. Some of the songs *cough* come in different versions, and some you're going to like better than others. From there you can follow the suggested links to other songs.

Georgia on my mind, come away with me, sitting on the dock of the bay, 'round midnight, I put a spell on you, ne me quitte pas, mood indigo, shady side, easy livin', ...
Some more or less bluesy, some not exactly sporting sax originally - but sax fits none the less.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Do you mean real blues or jazz blues? Assuming you mean blues blues, here's some great songs with riffs to learn:

Messin with the Kid (there's a junior wells version on youtube that is killin')
One Way Out (Allman Bros)
Honky Tonk (Bill Doggett)
Superstition (Stevie Wonder) - awesome horn riffs that MAKE the song
I Feel Good (James Brown)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Do you mean real blues or jazz blues?
I am so pleased that you said that.
Some of the "jazz blues" are hardly recognisable as blues.
May I suggest that the OP searches out Blues Bands featuring an harmonica & substitutes his sax for the harp....the same licks & solos apply. Anything by Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed... to name but a few....REAL blues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you mean real blues or jazz blues? Assuming you mean blues blues, here's some great songs with riffs to learn:

Messin with the Kid (there's a junior wells version on youtube that is killin')
One Way Out (Allman Bros)
Honky Tonk (Bill Doggett)
Superstition (Stevie Wonder) - awesome horn riffs that MAKE the song
I Feel Good (James Brown)
Yeah quite exactly what i want i want the Blues blues the groovy jams the songs you gave me are pretty awesome , enough to make me occupied :)
Do you have more songs like those bluesy jams ?
thanks

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
If you own Band in a Box you can make your own versions with your own chords or plug in the chords from fake book and then change the style to suit your mood and change the key with a quick point and click. You can even generate a half decent sax solo for your song and then trade licks with a computer algorythmic version of some saxophonist

1 - 7 of 7 Posts