Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi people
i would like to know some blues songs to work on because these days i'm making a repertoire for my practice sessions . so anyone ? [rolleyes]

·
Registered
668 Posts
This is going to sound like a half arsed response but I don't mean it to. I just "binged" blues saxophone and got a great hit list right off of amazon.com. In just a few moments I had choices of books, albums, artists and more directions to choose from in the vein than I actually expected. I bet you could spend alot of time choosing stuff there and get right to what you're after. (I'm planning on picking up some of it myself lol)

I always read the negative reviews first. They seem to tell me more about the subject than most of the positive reviews.

Harv

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Be more specific.....

Are we talking Bebop and jazz blues here ?
Parker, Monk, Coltrane, et al, all have good blues you can work on.

Or are you more into the rock, funk, R&B style ?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
hi people
i would like to know some blues songs to work on because these days i'm making a repertoire for my practice sessions . so anyone ? [rolleyes]
You want the blues? Move to either New York or Mississippi. Or just become a jazz musician you'll get the blues real quick.

There was a guy who had just got to NYC and asked another guy where he could find the blues.

And the guy told him to just stand right here they'll find you. 1 4 5 intervals.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You want the blues? Move to either New York or Mississippi. Or just become a jazz musician you'll get the blues real quick.

There was a guy who had just got to NYC and asked another guy where he could find the blues.

And the guy told him to just stand right here they'll find you. 1 4 5 intervals.
Hehehe , NY thats so far away from my home and i still study man , so it wont be possible althought i really want to study Music in a Music school ...

Anyway ;if you have some tips it would be great !

·
6,862 Posts
Songs or solos?

If you're a decent player and you can read a bit, Dennis Taylor's book on blues styles is pretty good. You can work on each section as an etude, or just pick out phrases you like and work on them.

If you just want to learn some heads--eg Chicken Shack--it's probably best to work them out by ear.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hehehe , NY thats so far away from my home and i still study man , so it wont be possible althought i really want to study Music in a Music school ...

Anyway ;if you have some tips it would be great !
The tip was there. You missed it: 1 4 5 intervals:

I - I - I - I
IV - IV - I - I
V - V - I - I

If the key is C then here's the basic 1 4 5 progression that would be in a 12 bar blues. I hope this can get you started.
C-C-C-C
F-F-F-F
G-G-C-C

Start with C and go to F then to G and back to C.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You want to play authentic blues?
First try and get your serotonin levels to drop
and play what's in your heart disregarding all traditional progression.
You don't want to play cheese with individually wrapped slices do you?

Naturally, you can use traditional progressions, which I do like myself, but you aren't bound to them.

·
3,494 Posts
Jamey Aebersold has a Blues Volume that is good fun to jam along with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Listen to Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson and transcribe a solo or two. It doesn't get more bluesy than Cleanhead. You'll get slow blues, Jump Blues, the whole shebang and all in the easily digestible key of Bb concert.

But seriously, find a player whose Blues lines really resonate with you and immerse yourself in that player for a while.

·
3,494 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts
hi people
If you can wait a little while, my next album will be all blues and ballads, and as usual will be accompanied by sheet music of the tunes (and possibly some playalong tracks)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi Dog pants

Thats what i'm talking about some groovy bluesy sound , cant get any better than that , i'm a big fan of cleanhead now thx , i'm gonna try working things out with his songs .

Peace

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,007 Posts
hi Dog pants

Thats what i'm talking about some groovy bluesy sound , cant get any better than that , i'm a big fan of cleanhead now thx , i'm gonna try working things out with his songs .

Peace
Good choice! Far, FAR, FAR better than working with those Aebersold 'blues' playalongs. They are fine for shedding 12 keys, but they are a very poor substitute for the REAL blues.

Speaking of keys, most of Cleanhead's stuff is in Bb. So you'll want to look for more blues tunes in other keys. There are hundreds of blues recordings out there to choose from. Look to stuff by anyone named "King" (King Curtis, BB King, Albert King, Freddie King.........) and recordings from the late '40s & '50s (lots of sax players on those).

Here's a great resource right here on SOTW: http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/

p.s. I wonder when the blues became a 'miscellaneous' style???!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts