Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, after a trial period of my Selmer Tenor Metal Jazz C* I gave up and decided I was done with this piece and its excessive resistence (even a larger opening would have changed nothing about the small D shaped chamber which is the resistive bit I guess), so, yesterday night, I went to browse in the old stock mouthpiece drawer at a shop in Amsterdam and found a couple of interesting pieces.

A Brancher for tenor (can't remember the size, didn't like it though, It was way too closed and would have required a much thicker reed), a blue Jumbo Java T.... something (forgot the size, nice piece if you play funky or thereabouts) and a Blue Java T75, well, this among the three I took to try, I judged nice enough to buy (paid 90$) and today I will start further experiments.

The look of this piece is very distinctive and I am sure I will get some derogatory comments about it but, who cares, as long as I am happy with it....The ligature it came with is not much of a muchness, so I'll be looking to improve on it, somehow.

Have you got a similar piece and are you using it perhaps with a Mark VII?
What are the Likes and dislikes?

Distinguished SOTW Member.
I used a [blue] Java T95 for about 5 or 6 years until I started to play Lamberson(s) in 1999

It served me very well.

Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well, today I had the first serious test and in general I am satisfied. The ligature I have has to be changed I noticed some squeaking when pressing in the higher register which was corrected by a better positioning of the ligature and reed. It is clearly a good piece, I am not very sure of it having a definite personality which takes it apart from other similar allrounders but for the time being I will give it a serious test to see if it serves my needs too....

Distinguished SOTW Member
Robert Stewart plays a Blue Jumbo Java T45 on a bari plastic medium reed.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/rstewart

and www.therobertstewartexperience.com

Blue is COOL :cool:

I think the Vandoren Blue mouthpieces are really neat. I currently have a T45/ T55 Java Blue and Jumbo Java Blue. They are not my main mouthpiece but there is a quality about them I keep going back to. The nicest souding mouthpiece I have when I play with resonance is a Java blue. Something just thickens up in the tone and it is magic.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
Tryptykon said:
I used a [blue] Java T95 for about 5 or 6 years until I started to play Lamberson(s) in 1999

It served me very well.

I went from a lamberson to a jumbo java they are great

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
I used a Blue Jumbo Java on a Mark VII for a while. I like the Jumbos; they're like Dukoffs made from hard rubber. I've never been able to get with the regular Javas....for some reason, I always squeak and chirp on them. I'm also not a big fan of the way they sound because they are not bright enough for rock/funk, and not dark enough for mainstream (bop/post bop) jazz. But that's for me. I found that the Mark VII needed a really bright piece to make it pop, but again, that's my experience only. (It's also why I traded the horn for my Keilwerth back in 1991, but that's a whole other story...)

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks about these contributions, as I said I have bought a Blue Java but have briefly brushed against a Blue Jumbo Java in the same shop, I found it too bright for what I am looking for but you never know maybe it is worth getting such a piece to keep since they are getting rare (By the way these are the old Blue's not the new ones any idea about the difference?).

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J.Max said:
I've never been able to get with the regular Javas....for some reason, I always squeak and chirp on them.

I have noticed a tendency to squeak , this mpc requires plenty of attention while playing and a relaxed embouchure in the higher register......if you push the higher register, tightening the embouchure more than necessary with your lips (I know one should not do that, but , hey! I am not very good, yet, and I am still working on control, embouchure, breathing support and so on....) you will squeak. Also the placing of the reeds on the piece is crucial and the adjustement of the ligature. I am still working on this but it seems that leaving the tip of the reed just under the tip of the mouthpiece makes it more likely to squeak, if the read is left a little longer so " on" the tip or just over it, it becomes harder to blow but you don't have as many problems with squeaking. In the same way if you place your ligature very closed to the tip you will squeak , but if you push it a little further than what you will normally do it seems to affect the squeaking in a positive way. It is possible that I need a thicker reed on this mouthpiece but I am still building my chops. So far, so good , I like this piece but then againt it has happened before that I only found out after a while if I really liked something or not.

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
back to planet Blue Jumbo. I really like this piece but (its or my) squeaking on it gets to me at times....I am going nuts. It is also erratic, sometime you have it, sometimes you don't, a certain reed works well and then it doesn't anymore. It performs even better on my new King super 20 than it did on the Mark VII (which by the way works very well with a meyer ebonite)

The table of my Blue Java has a minute concavity in the middle (observing it agaist the light , while laying a flat opaque surface on the table, I can see a minute " light" leak ) and possibly the table has been intended this way, like some other pieces are, in order to compensate for ligature pressure and reed swelling.

I am thinking to have it refaced (any refacers in the Netherlands?) if the last test with a fibracell reed fails to achieve the squeak-less state.;)

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright....fibracell test is very succesful! No squeaking at all even if pushin a lot (amazing!) but low register and low notes aren't yet completely satisfactory (but that's me, need to work on this and improve chops really).

still, the questions remain: why does squeaking happen on this piece (I've heard more complaints about it), is concavity a particular fault or a typical feature of this piece? Could it be improved by flattening the table and not ruining anything else? Should I stay with fibracell and forget about the table tweaking?

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep Mojo, read it and took in your advise....fibracell it is. It really does the trick. But how about the concavity, do you think it is a general feature of this mouthpiece or a quirk of this particular one I own? Would you advise to get rid of it anyway or go by the rule if it ain't broken (with the use of fibracell)......Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts