Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had a heart attack when the blue enamel of my beloved Selmer Reference 54 started flaking of today.
Has this happened to anybody else? Can you get it re - enameled ????

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,295 Posts
Its just paint. I've painted in the background of the 'S' on the octave rocker a few times in over 50 years of owning Selmers. I have to admit, I've never had the original paint flake off. Probably the original lacquer under the paint is flaking off, taking the paint with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,652 Posts
Blue enamel Smelver?! I never heard of suck a thing. Let it all flake off and paint it black or go au natural.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,445 Posts
Hi all,

I had a heart attack when the blue enamel of my beloved Selmer Reference 54 started flaking of today.
Has this happened to anybody else? Can you get it re - enameled ????

Thanks.
I hope you don't have a stroke when you get a dent in it. Have you worn through the lacquer on the palm keys yet?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,361 Posts
The palm key tops can be polished down to bare brass and kept polished. As to the Blue, just take it all off and repaint, clean off of the brass area and let dry.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
Hi all,

I hope you don't have a stroke when you get a dent in it. Have you worn through the lacquer on the palm keys yet?
Reminds me of our old friend AcidRain, who nearly had a nervous breakdown when he got a scratch on the outside of his mouthpiece... :twisted:

Can you get it re - enameled ????
Sure. I've never had a customer ask me to do this, but I'd probably use car touch-up paint...although "Selmer blue" is probably not in the catalog... :mrgreen:

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
Have you worn through the lacquer on the palm keys yet?
2010 Ref 36 here, my blue S is still as new. Low Eb pinky mostly lacquer gone, low C on the way. All side keys gone from sliding up to the high E, several wear points all over the horn. Left pinky C# gone through and the B on the way. Neck is slowly losing lacquer from the cork down.

I like it, it's a physical representation of the work. It's tangible

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
I kind of want to just flake it all off, for the sake of consistency...
Don't do that, people won't be able to tell the difference between you and the trombone player without the blue S!

Musical instrument Musician Light Concert Music

·
Registered
362 Posts
I recently re-painted the blue S on my 1968 tenor. I just used materials I already had for oil painting. Pure titanium white (no zinc!) and ultramarine blue with enough damar varnish concentrate to bring it to a consistency of heavy cream. Worked good.

·
8,295 Posts
As a side note, the old paint was nearly black - very dark blue. Selmer gradually revised that to a more 'electric' blue that shows up better in the lights. You can take any 'royal blue' enamel and doctor it up to get any tint of blue you want. the most economical way to experiment is to buy model paint at a hobby shop. If I did that I would only get two bottles - 'royal blue' and 'gloss black'.

·
Registered
362 Posts
As a side note, the old paint was nearly black - very dark blue. Selmer gradually revised that to a more 'electric' blue that shows up better in the lights. You can take any 'royal blue' enamel and doctor it up to get any tint of blue you want. the most economical way to experiment is to buy model paint at a hobby shop. If I did that I would only get two bottles - 'royal blue' and 'gloss black'.
If he is going for the color in my avatar thingy, (eyes left), he will need white, not black. For the blue he will want ultramarine blue, pigment code PB29.

Googlage

Blues based on phthalocyanine will be a bit too much on the greenish side. Cobalt, not vivid enough. Prussian Blue? Don't be silly.

I could not google up what "Royal Blue" is made from, but the swatches I found are not inconsistent with a mixture of ultramarine and white. He certainly would not want to add black to a blue paint that has white pigment in it. Ixnay on grey.

Note on nominclature: A "tint" is a color with added white. A "shade" is a color with added black.

Trust me; I am an artist. :) The blue pattern in the vase is a shade of ultramarine (with ivory black). Notice how it is greyer (lower chroma) than the blue S background on the goose neck.

Tableware Dishware Cup Drinkware Serveware

·
8,295 Posts
You are way over-thinking this. To start with, it has to be enamel or acrylic enamel. Its cheap and easy to buy this in the tiny model paint bottles and come up with the color you need. If Selmer has darkened the paint, they did so for the more 'retro' look. If you can find one of those to look at, that's the color the paint originally was on the MK VI. Actually, on horns imported and reworked by Selmer USA for USA sale, frequently there was no paint in that area, so your earlier Selmer could be 'correct' without it. But I can't resist that blue! I've painted several of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts